20 phrases by Slavoj Žižek that will make you think
Slavoj Žižek (Ljubljana, 1949) is one of the most known and commented philosophers of today.
Their reflections and essays not only cover an analysis of the political movements and social problems that are appearing today, but also talk about the ideologies, belief systems and symbols we use to interpret what happens and set objectives.
- Discover the best Slavoj Žižek books
- Another selection of 75 philosophical phrases
A selection of phrases from Žižek to reflect
Below you can see a selection of phrases from Žižek to reflect and initiate yourself in his philosophy.
1. If you have reasons to love a person, you do not love them
Žižek refers here to the irrational and private character of love , something that can not be explained with words.
2. Political correctness is modern totalitarianism
The idea behind this reflection is that political correctness forces us to stick to protocol rules regardless of what we think , being that those norms, at the same time, can be interpreted as an expression of what we sincerely believe when in the end this is not the case.
3. I secretly think that reality exists so that we can speculate about it
Žižek is strongly influenced by Hegel's idealistic philosophy , and for that reason it relativizes the importance of believing that the real exists independently of the ideas that may arise about it.
4. Formal freedom precedes real freedom
Freedom based on the use of laws that do not distinguish between groups is not the definitive form of freedom , according to Žižek, whose Marxist ideas lead him to think that our quality of life is very determined by the historical context in which we live.
5. You can not change people, but you can change the system so that people are not pushed to do certain things
Another example of Marxist thinking , more focused on changing the environment in which people live than on modifying ways of thinking directly.
6. Nobody takes democracy or justice seriously
This is one of the phrases of Žižek in which his critical stance with contemporary ideals is clear .
7. True power does not need arrogance, a long beard or aggressive voice, but wraps you in silk ribbons, charm and intelligence
For Žižek, the most potent form of power does not work through force but through seduction .
8. We really do not want to get what we think we want.
For this philosopher The real reasons for our actions are beyond our direct and individual understanding .
9. We live in strange times when we are induced to act as if we were free
This phrase from Žižek can be interpreted thinking that freedom is more a mirage that a situation in which we can choose from a multitude of options
10. Experts are, by definition, the servants of those in power: they do not really think, they only apply their knowledge to the problems defined by the powerful
The authorities in certain matters are, for this Slovenian philosopher, simple technicians executing orders from superiors .
11. I know it's a lie, but I also allow myself to be emotionally affected by it
One of the phrases of Žižek focused on the importance of the way in which what is perceived is interpreted .
12. The experience we have of our lives from within is basically a lie: the truth lies outside, in what we do
Another one of the phrases of Žižek in which implies that the subjective narrative of our lives is biased or.
13. The act of doing nothing is not empty, it has a meaning: saying yes to existing relations of domination
One of the famous quotes of Slavoj Žižek with more social and political content.
14. The ultimate source of evil is compassion itself
For Žižek, Compassion limits our freedom, even when it comes to loving .
15. Eating organic apples does not solve anything
Žižek believes that collective problems, such as the degradation of the environment, demand collective action . In this sense, changing our consumption habits can not be the solution, because it is a response centered on what each person does individually and at the same time serves to purge feelings of guilt.
16. To understand the current world, we need the cinema
For this philosopher, the cinema reproduces the way of thinking of the society in which it has been made .
17. Words are never just words: they matter because they define the contours of what we can do
Žižek points out that the way in which things are explained predisposes us to perform certain actions and to ignore the possibility of doing others.
18. What happens if the way we perceive a problem is part of the problem?
A way to remember the importance of examining the discourses and ideologies behind our actions.
19. Love is experienced as a great misfortune, a monstrous parasite, a permanent state of emergency that ruins small pleasures
One of the phrases of Žižek in which is more critical with the concept of love .
20. We feel free because we lack the language necessary to articulate our lack of freedom
The Slovenian philosopher refers here to the difficulties in explaining the mechanisms by which freedom is private to us .