65 Famous Phrases by Frida Kahlo
Frida Kahlo is one of the most outstanding Mexican artists in the world of painting , serving as inspiration to other well-known painters such as Picasso or Duchamp.
His life was difficult, marked by polio and the consequences of a traffic accident. It was after the latter when he began to paint, usually using motives of his culture and expressing in his works his thoughts, feelings and experiences.
But in addition to his pictorial works, he also left us several reflections, some of which we pick up in these phrases by Frida Kahlo.
- Related article: "70 Buddhist phrases to achieve inner peace"
65 phrases by Frida Kahlo
Here we show you 65 phrases of Frida Kahlo that allow us to approach her thoughts , beliefs and experiences. An exciting life embodied in reflections of incalculable value.
1. I paint flowers so they do not die
In this sentence the artist expresses her will to preserve for posterity that which is worthy of appreciation, admiration and respect.
2. Feet, why do I want them if I have wings to fly?
The need to dream and imagine allows us to achieve goals that otherwise would be impossible.
3. It was a solitary flower, joyous butterfly you posed there; then the pollen from another more fragrant flower called, and the butterfly flew
This phrase refers to the painful experience of betrayal and infidelity. The husband of the artist was unfaithful to her sister, causing great suffering to the artist.
4. Sometimes I prefer to talk with workers and masons than with those stupid people who call themselves cultured people
This phrase reflects that sometimes people of high social class and with an education above the average use their supposed cultural level to feel superior to others, while the humblest can be more respectful.
5. Man is the owner of his destiny and his destiny is the earth, and he is destroying it until he has no destiny
The well-known painter expresses her belief that we are destroying our world, and of ourselves, with our irresponsible actions in aspects such as politics and the environment.
6. I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the condemned ones learned to swim
The consumption of alcohol or other substances does not solve our problems, but only delays and prolongs them over time.
7. Who would say that the spots live and help to live? Ink, blood, smell ... What would I do without the absurd and the fleeting?
We often focus too much on the long term and the big goals, without appreciating the role and importance of small things or ridiculous things.
8. Do not let the tree of which you are sun thirst
This phrase drives us to care for and protect those we love, not allow relationships to die and get lost.
9. To wall your own suffering is to risk being devoured from within
Keeping things and not expressing pain and suffering causes us to stay inside, making us suffer.
10. Why do I call him my Diego? It never was nor will it be mine. It's from himself ...
In this sentence in which she mentions her husband, the artist tells us that the couple we are with is not ours, it is not a possession but someone free and independent who can decide for himself.
11. Choose a person who looks at you as if maybe you were magic
This phrase pushes us to look for a partner that we are passionate about and for which we are important.
12. If I could give you one thing in life, I would like to give you the ability to see you through my eyes. Only then will you realize how special you are to me
Sometimes people are not aware of how valuable and special they are to others.
13. I paint myself because I am the one I know best
We can know a person a lot. We may even know details of others of which they themselves are not aware. But in reality, who we know best is ourselves, what we think, feel and believe.
14. So many things to tell you and so few leave my mouth. You should learn to read my eyes when I look at you
Sometimes when we feel something for someone we are not able to express it clearly or make it clear how important it is for us.
15. I'll take care of what you take care of me, I'll talk to you as you treat me and I'll believe what you show me
Words can be precious, but what matters is what we demonstrate with our actions.
16. At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can
We are stronger than we think.
17. The most powerful art of life is to make pain a talisman that heals, a butterfly that is reborn at a colorful party
This phrase tells us about the importance of overcoming our pain and taking advantage of it to grow and learn from it instead of letting ourselves be dragged.
18. I wanted it until my dignity said: it's not so much
Wanting someone or something does not mean that we should lower ourselves and accept everything in order to keep it by our side.
19. Each tick-tock is a second of the life that passes, flees, and does not repeat itself
This phrase pushes us to take advantage of our limited time and dare to live as we want to do.
20. Fall in love with yourself, with life and after whoever you want
The artist tells us the need to love oneself and then the world before pretending to love someone.
21. Everything can have beauty, even the most horrible thing
In everything that exists it is possible to find some kind of beauty, something positive and beautiful.
22. If you act like you know what you're doing, you can do whatever you want
Believing in ourselves and in our possibilities opens the doors to achieving any goal.
23. Who gave you the absolute truth? Nothing is absolute, everything changes, everything moves, everything revolutionizes, everything flies and goes
There is no one who has the absolute truth, since this can change with perspective and with time. Everything can change.
24. I never paint dreams or nightmares. I paint my own reality
The author tried to reflect her emotions, feelings and real experiences. It reflected what he had lived and how, not what he could be or become.
25. I am my own muse. I am the person I know best. I am the person I want to improve
To be able to capture one's own beauty, to feel admiration for oneself, to identify what is good and what we can improve, is essential.
26. Tree of hope, stand firm
Keeping hope is what allows us to get afloat when things go wrong, to address new and better goals and live our lives as we want.
27. Beauty and ugliness are a mirage because others end up seeing our inside
The physical aspect, although initially it may attract or repel us, is not decisive when it comes to the truth when we consider a person or what wakes us up.
28. Where you can not love, do not delay
If relationships do not work despite all attempts to fix them, it does not make sense to perpetuate the situation and cause even more suffering.
29. I used to think I was the strangest person in the world, but then I thought among so many people in the world there must be someone who feels like me, quirky and defective. I imagine that she is out there thinking also of me. Well, I hope that if you read this you know that yes, it's true, I'm here and I'm as strange as you
Sometimes we think we are rare, being unable to be understood by anyone in the world. The truth is that many people have felt the same way throughout their lives, and that we all have our own oddities and shortcomings.
30. Actually I do not know if my paintings are surreal or not, but I do know that they represent the most frank expression of myself
The author, who did not identify with surrealism, intended to reflect her interior and identity in her works.
31. There is nothing more beautiful than laughter
Laughing is one of the great pleasures of life, which is shared and makes us see the beauty of life.
32. I look forward to the departure and I hope never to return
Everything has an end, even life, and that should not make us bitter. It is part of life and inevitable, and allows us what we do during our time to have value. This phrase was issued shortly before he died, being aware that his end was nearing.
33. There are some who are born with stars and other stars, and even if you do not want to believe it, I am one of the stars
There are people to whom for some reason it seems that everything goes well and others to whom the opposite happens. The important thing is to fight to get what matters to us, whether the circumstances accompany us or not.
34. Never in all my life will I forget your presence. You took me home shattered and you gave me back whole, whole.
Words of thanks for those who cared and helped the artist recover from the pain. In this specific case it refers to her by that then husband.
35. You deserve the best of the best, because you are one of those few people who, in this miserable world are still honest with themselves, and that is the only thing that really counts
Be authentic and recognize ourselves our successes and mistakes. Be as we are accepting. Unfortunately nowadays most people tend to behave not as they are but as they think they are required, and they deceive themselves trying to give an image of perfection.
36. What does not kill me feeds me
Although it is painful, we learn from everything that we live and we can grow and mature thanks to it.
37. Can you invent verbs? I want to tell you one: I miss you, so my wings extend enormous to love you without measure
Love makes us experience and discover new things both of the world and of ourselves.
38. Pain, pleasure and death are but the process of existence. The revolutionary struggle in this process is an open door to intelligence
This phrase urges us to fight, accepting that both pleasure and pain are part of life and that we should not allow it to stop us.
39. Surrealism is the magic surprise of finding a lion inside a closet, where you are sure to find shirts
In this sentence Frida Kahlo speaks of surrealism as a strange and surprising style.
40. Give me hope, hope, desire to live and do not forget me
In this sentence the artist asks for some of the main things that impel us to fight for what we want.
41. No place is more sad than an empty bed
Loneliness is a phenomenon that fills us with sadness and reduces the ability to get excited.
42. If you want me in your life you will put me in it. I should not be fighting for a position
Love is something that must be reciprocal and in which both members must give and receive. Each one is independent and should not beg for the other's affection.
43. I, who fell in love with your wings, will never want to cut you
This phrase tells us that we should respect and not try to change what made us admire and love someone.
44. Many times in pain are the deepest pleasures, the most complex truths, the most certain happiness
Feeling pain and suffering does not have to be bad, because it can lead us to discover new things and adopt new ways of life and thought.
45. The most important part of the body is the brain. From my face I like my eyebrows and my eyes. Apart from that I do not like anything else. My head is too small. My breasts and my genitals are ordinary. Of the opposite sex, I have a mustache and a face in general
The painter argued that physical appearance was not the most important thing in a society that beauty was overvalued.
46. I am free to give myself to the mother
Frida Kahlo defended the right to do what she really wanted to do, having the right to make mistakes if she wanted to.
47. I do not want a half love, torn and split in half. I have fought and suffered so much that I deserve something whole, intense, indestructible
This phrase pushes us to fight to get what we want, and not settle for crumbs.
48. I think that little by little, I will be able to solve my problems and survive
Despite the different health problems she suffered throughout her life, the artist shows in this phrase a great ability to overcome.
49. So absurd and fleeting is our passage through this world, which only leaves me calm to know that I have been authentic, that I have managed to be the closest thing to myself.
Frida Kahlo again lets us see the importance of being what we are and being faithful to what we are and believe.
50. What is my path? Wait? Forget you? Do what you do, go from the arms of one and another, today sleep with someone and tomorrow with a different one?
The author asks what should be the answer to the betrayal and the disenchantment that it supposes with respect to the beloved person.
51. I live every day hoping to see you return ... and every night knowing that you're not
In this sentence, Frida Kahlo expresses melancholy for someone who is no longer at her side.
52. You already see that I do not have the language of Cervantes, neither the poetic or descriptive aptitude nor genius, but you are an ax to understand my language relax
The artist says that it is not necessary to make flourishes or use metaphorical languages to make themselves understood.
53. Wanting to discover and love the discovered. Hidden. With the pain of always losing it
The desire to discover is something that drives us to experiment and develop new ways of doing things.
54. The sadness is portrayed in all my painting, but that's my condition, I do not have any composure
Part of the artist's works reflect painful moments of her life or the vision she had of them. Even so, the artist defended her right to express that pain and sadness, which otherwise could have accumulated inside her.
55. Of the most evil year, the most beautiful day is born
Even in the worst moments can be found hope and that which drives us to fight.
56. I do not want to talk to you because they say that the fish by the mouth dies and whenever I talk to you, I end up dying a little more
This phrase expresses the pain that her relationship with her husband caused her.
57. The world is born of who is born to conquer it and not of those who dream that it can conquer it
Dreaming is essential, but it is not enough if we want to achieve something. For our dreams to come true we must act and not just imagine it.
58. I spend my life cloistered in this fucking mansion of oblivion, supposedly to recover my health and to paint in my spare time
The life of Frida Kahlo was hard and short, full of illnesses, recoveries (she underwent more than thirty surgeries due to her accident) and disappointments.
59. Although I have said "I love you" to many and have had appointments and kissed others, deep down I have only loved you.
Loving is not easy, and even when we want to leave behind a love that has hurt us we can still love that person.
60. I would like to give you everything you never would have, and even then you would not know the wonder it is to be able to love you
Loving someone makes us feel lucky, and want the loved one to get all the happiness in the world. The same one that makes us feel.
61. Doctor, if you let me drink this tequila, I promise not to drink at my funeral
Said by the artist shortly before she died, she reflects that even in hard times we should try to maintain our spirits and sense of humor.
62And there is in it (life) so much intensity, so much interest, that the problem is just knowing how to live
This phrase refers to life and the main problem or question to solve that we each have is how to live it.
63. In this scornful life one suffers a lot, brother, and although one learns, one resists a massive challenge in the long run, and even though I do it to make myself strong, there are times when I would like to throw away the harp
Although we have to fight for our dreams, it is normal that before the hardships of life between us sadness and we have desire to surrender and stop fighting.
64. You know very well that sexual attractiveness in women ends up flying away, and then they have nothing left but what they have in their head to be able to defend themselves in this filthy life of hell
In this sentence Frida Kahlo expresses that beauty ends up withering. It impels us to take more into account our own intelligence and to stop giving so much importance to the physical.
65. Live the life
One of the most positive phrases of the author, pushes us to enjoy our life with optimism.