Aloe vera: 13 benefits that you should know and apply to your life
Aloe vera is a very popular plant both in the manufacture of creams and shampoos and in the creation of home remedies to take care of health. But… What exactly are the benefits it can offer?
The healthful properties of Aloe vera
This is a list of the advantages that Aloe vera can offer in different types of health treatments.
1. It is an excellent moisturizer
This plant is used in a variety of moisturizers , which helps to care for areas of the skin that are dry or damaged by excessive exposure to sunlight.
2. It is an aid against acne
The gel that is extracted from Aloe vera is a good anti-inflammatory , and for that reason it is very useful to avoid the reactions produced by an excessive production of fat through the glands of the face. If combined with soap, it helps remove the greasy layer that covers the skin, making the skin cleaner and the pores less likely to become inflamed.
3. Favors the healing of wounds
Aloe vera gel extracted directly from the plant It is antiseptic and has elements that favor the rapid healing of wounds . It helps to restore circulation around the damaged area, promotes cell regeneration, disinfects and also has a great power of penetration in the different layers of human skin, with which its effects are very intense.
4. ... and burns
Aloe vera is also very popular when it comes to treating minor or severe burns. In fact, it could be more effective than conventional medication in causing these burns to heal faster.
5. Reduces the appearance of dental plaque
It has been proven that, when reducing dental plaque, the extract of this plant is as effective as chlorhexidine, an ingredient widely used to protect oral health. This is because it kills certain types of bacteria responsible for the appearance of the plaque.
6. Promising effects against vulgar psoriasis
There is evidence that Aloe vera extract, in certain amounts, may be useful in the treatment of vulgar psoriasis r without exposing yourself to harmful side effects. For this it is useful to prepare a gel poultice of this plant.
7. Can be used in massages
As we have seen, Aloe vera gel has a lot of penetration power in the skin, but it also helps to reduce skin itching, so It is an excellent resource to be used in relaxing massages .
8. Cleans dandruff hair
Use Aloe vera gel on the scalp helps dry skin plates that accumulate under the hair . In addition, as it has analgesic effects, it reduces the itching associated with dandruff, which in turn favors that we do not scratch and end up damaging the scalp more.
9. It is a remedy for dry lips
The persistent effects of Aloe vera extract and its moisturizing and healing potential makes it a good remedy to make cut lips heal quickly .
10. Helps cure canker sores
It has been shown that the use of Aloe vera extract in canker sores, sores and aphthae causes them to heal as quickly as with the use of conventional creams, although without side effects. In addition, its analgesic effects could be greater.
11. Has antioxidant properties
Aloe vera extract contains a large amount of polyphenols, a class of chemicals with antioxidant effect. Thus, helps to eliminate the free radicals that circulate in our body damaging certain cellular tissues , which helps to delay the appearance of signs of aging and improves our general health status applied to the skin.
12. Improves hair quality
The same moisturizing properties of Aloe vera that can be used in skin care are useful when combating dryness of the hair, whether due to genetic or environmental causes, or because it has been smoothed with an iron. Further, removes a good part of the grease film that covers the hair, making it look cleaner .
13. Has laxative elements
The aloin that can be found in Aloe vera latex is known for its laxative effects, so It can be useful in punctual treatments against constipation .
However, its oral consumption for long periods of time is contraindicated because of the adverse effects it can produce. In general, Aloe vera has benefits if it is applied to the skin, not ingested.
A very versatile plant with many benefits
Concluding, It can be said that Aloe vera has very useful components in a large number of treatments if it is applied on the skin : it offers anti-inflammatory, moisturizing, regenerating and relaxing effects, among others, and does not have the side effects of certain medications.
- Maenthaisong R1, Chaiyakunapruk N, Niruntraporn S, Kongkaew C. (2007). The efficacy of aloe vera used for burn wound healing: a systematic review. Burns, 33 (6), pp. 713-718.
- Rodríguez Domínguez I, Santana Gutiérrez O, Recio O. Benefits of Aloe Vera l (aloe) in skin conditions. López and Enf. Marilín Fuentes Naranjo. Cuban Journal of Nursing 2006; 22 (3), pp. 0 - 0. ISSN 1561-2961.
- Syed TA, Ahmad A, Holt AH, Ahmad SA, Ahmad SH, Afzal M. (1996). Management of psoriasis with Aloe vera extract in a hydrophilic cream: a placebo-controlled, doubleblind study. Trop Med Intern Health, 1 (4), pp. 505-509.
- Vogler BK, Ernest E. Aloe vera: a systematic review of its clinical effectiveness. Br J Gen Pract 1999; 49, pp. 823-828.
- Witte P, Lemli J. (1988). Metabolism of 14C-rhein and 14C-rhein anthrone in rats. Pharmacology, 36 (1), pp.152-7.