How to make a successful resume, in 8 steps
Curriculum vitae is an extremely important tool when we want to find a job, it is a presentation in front of the company that wants to hire us, so it is important that it is well done.
Making a successful CV does not have to be one of many pages Not too much text; It is better to know how to manage information and synthesize. It must be characterized by showing the necessary data, in a structured and visible way so that the recruiter can decide that we are suitable candidates for the job to which we aspire.
It is important to note that the recruiters decide if a candidate continues in the selection process in just 6 seconds of observing the curriculum vitae. At least this is what a study published in "TheLadders" states.
- Related article: "I have no job: 7 expert tips to find it"
How to make a success curriculum vitae
Since the CV is an important piece when it comes to guaranteeing our success in a personnel selection process In this article we have decided to present some keys that make the curriculum vitae a success.
In the following lines you can find a list of essential points to make a good CV .
1. Choose the type of curriculum
Although many people believe that the classic or international CV is the most appropriate, it is not always true. There are different types of resumes and all of them present some pros and cons, so, when deciding the CV that we will use, it is necessary to know what is the objective, our experience or what we want to highlight.
For example, the chronological CV is ideal if you have always worked, but if there have been stoppages between work and work and you want to highlight certain areas instead of the time that has been spent in a company, you can make use of a functional curriculum.
- Related article: "Types of Curriculum Vitae: The 4 models of CV (advantages and disadvantages)"
2. Know the company and the position to which you aspire
There are many individuals who use the same curriculum for different jobs, which is a mistake. If recruiters have little time to look at a CV It is important that the information is clear and the strengths stand out. In this sense, it is necessary to know well the position to which one aspires and the organization in which one is going to work.
For example: the CV of a graphic designer may be different from that of a Human Resources director. The first can be more creative and the second more classic.
Personal information: Name and surname, ID, place and date of birth, personal address, contact telephone number, email address ...
3. Follow a clear structure
The structure of the CV must be designed in a way that makes the task easier for the recruiter and that, at the same time, is attractive to the eye. Some important points to include can be:
- Personal information : It is necessary to include the full name, place and date of birth, address, telephone number, email, etc.
- Academic training : Studies carried out and courses of greatest interest. Although this last point can be included in additional courses.
- Professional experience : Those jobs you have done. If you have a lot of experience or irrelevant jobs for the position, put only those that you think may have skills that the recruiter will look for in you.
- Languages : If you have official titles, you must include them.
- Computing : Especially important if it is related to the job you aspire to.
- Other data of interest : Time availability, driver's license, etc.
4. Use blank spaces to attract attention
In addition to the aforementioned information, it is also necessary to leave blank spaces for attract the attention of the recruiter in those things that are important in your profile. Putting things easy for the interviewer also benefits you.
5. Only includes the relevant information
This point has already been mentioned, but it is necessary to highlight it. It can happen that one wants to put all their professional experience if they have had many jobs. But the recruiter only you want to know about the relevant information . For example, if your hobby does not have to do with the work you want to do, avoid putting the hobbies.
6. Use bullet points to highlight important aspects
It is not necessary to write entire sentences, it is better to summarize the information. To do this, you can use bullets. For example, when you specify your professional functions or achievements .
7. It is not necessary to include references
It may be attractive to include the references in your curriculum vitae, but you do not need to.If you pass this phase and the interviewer wants to know more about you through your old bosses, he will let you know. If they do not ask you for that information, you do not need the facilities. This will allow you to notify them in case they want references from you .
8. Avoid including hobbies
It may look good on paper, but it is not always necessary to include hobbies. If you choose to work in a sports shop and play football in your town team, you can include it. But Do not include in the CV information that does not contribute anything to your candidacy .
If you succeed with your CV ... How to deal with the interview?
Today Interviews by competencies are often used , which provide a series of benefits for recruiters and the organization. Therefore, if you liked your CV, they will want to meet you in person. You can read the article "How to face an interview by competences: 4 keys to get the job", to be successful in your job interview.