The 27 Best Phrases of James Dean, a Movie Myth
James Dean (1931 - 1955) was an all-terrain actor. Born in Indiana, his brilliant career had outstanding appearances in film, television and theater, although popular culture especially reminds Dean of his roles as "bad boy", an eternal teenager with no future and bad life.
Especially famous for his role in Rebel Without a Cause (1955), James Dean died that same year due to an unfortunate car accident. Following that, the legend of James Dean grew to become a true idol of pop culture.
- "60 movie phrases that marked the history of cinema"
- "The 31 best sentences of Steven Spielberg"
- "The 25 best phrases by Robert De Niro"
Famous quotes by James Dean
1. My purpose in life does not include a desire to enchant society.
Although he is usually linked to certain narcissistic traits, James Dean had no intention of being a popular person.
2. Only the Gentile is always really strong.
Not losing good forms always gives us an added value and more moral integrity.
3. Death can not be considered, because if you are afraid of dying, there is no space in your life to make discoveries.
Risk invites death, but there is the magic of life.
4. Dream as if you were to live forever. Live as if you were going to die today.
Perhaps the most famous phrase of James Dean. An authentic ode to the carpe diem.
5. I will not go through life with an arm tied to my back.
About his desire to live to the limit.
6. There is no way to be truly great in this world.
Humility guided James Dean through his short but passionate life.
7. Gratification comes from doing, not from results.
The state of flow gratifies us, the salary only rewards us.
8. I do not even pretend to be 'the best'. I want to fly so high that no one can reach me. Not to prove anything, I just want to get to where it should be when you give your whole life and everything you are to a single thing.
Totally dedicated to his role as an actor. A lover of cinema.
9. The best thing about being single is that you can get in bed on the side you want.
A funny phrase that explains the benefits of emotional freedom.
10. I can not change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Overcoming adversity is basic to a happy life.
11. I believe that there is only one form of greatness for man. It is when a man can bridge the gap between life and death. I mean, if he can live after he's dead, then maybe he was a great man. For me the only success, the only greatness, is immortality.
Obviously, his figure and his legacy make this famous quote of Dean an authentic premonition.
12. People told me that I behaved like Brando before I even knew who Brando was. The comparison does not bother me, but neither does it flatter me.
On the eternal comparisons with another famous actor: Marlon Brando.
13. I liked to go out and scare cows with the bike. They started running, their udders bobbing and losing a liter of milk.
An anecdote that portrays his jovial and carefree spirit.
14. Nobody has ever done anything for me. I do not owe anybody anything.
Showing your dignity
15. Do not 'act'. If you are smoking a cigarette, smoke it, do not act as if you were smoking it.
A great phrase to know how to interpret naturally, without forcing or exaggerating.
16. Whatever it is that I have inside that makes me what I am, it's like a movie. Films only work in the dark, if you open them completely and let the light in, kill them.
A good dose of darkness makes life look epic.
17. An actor has to learn everything there is to know, experience or approach that state as much as possible.
On the interpretive art, in one of those phrases of James Dean absolutely unforgettable.
18. It was a friendly thing, without complications. I respect it, it is untouchable: we belong to totally different castes. It's one of those girls that you put on an altar to worship them. But hey, his old (his mother) does not like anything. It's not that I blame her either.
On his relationship with an actress named Pier Angeli.
19. I try with all my strength to get people to reject me, why?
About his self-destructive spirit.
20. You have to live fast, death comes soon.
A sad self-fulfilling prophecy.
21. When you know that a character can give something more and you do not know what it is, you have to look for it; walk the tightrope
His ability to take his characters to the extreme encumbed him to fame.
22. The only greatness for man is immortality.
And this is never achieved. We are small; insignificant
23. Being a doctor is not easy. Being a man is even more difficult.
The difficulty of being a normal man.
24. For me, acting is the most logical way for the neurosis of the people to manifest.
The cinema has the capacity to awaken our darker side.
25. Being an actor is the loneliest thing in the world. You are really alone with your concentration and imagination and that is all you have.
The loneliness of the interpreter.
26. I am also close to nature and now I am able to appreciate the beauty with which this world is endowed.
His veneration for nature clashed with his image as a tough guy in the big cities of the United States.
27. By my way of thinking, the course of an actor is established even before being out of the cradle.
The fate of the actor is written in his genes, according to this beautiful sentence by James Dean