The 70 best phrases of Isabel Allende
Isabel Allende is a popular and well-known Chilean-American writer and journalist born in Peru, she has done many works, some as well known as "La casa de los Espíritus" or "Eva Luna".
Throughout her long life as a writer, this author has reflected in her novels a large number of reflections on various aspects of life. In this article we will show a series of phrases from his literary work or interviews that show us some of these reflections.
- Related article: "100 phrases from famous books and writers (essential)"
70 phrases of Isabel Allende and her books
Below is shown a small collection of phrases by Isabel Allende that allow us to approach her thinking about various facets of life.
1. Affection is like the light of noon and does not need the presence of the other to manifest itself. The separation between beings is also illusory, since everything is united in the universe
This phrase reflects that the importance of the relationship between two people remains even if they do not see, or even if one of them has died.
2. Face the obstacles as they arise, do not waste energy fearing what may be in the future
We do not know what's coming and we can not control it, so worrying is not productive.
3. Fear is inevitable, I have to accept it, but I can not allow myself to be paralyzed
Fear is normal, but we must learn to manage fear so that it does not stop us from living and adapting.
4. Love makes us good. It does not matter who we love, it does not matter if we are reciprocated or if the relationship is lasting. The experience of love is enough, that transforms us
The fact of loving someone wants us to love the loved one, protect them and see and experience the world in a positive way.
5. Maybe we are in this world to seek love, find it and lose it, again and again. With each love, we are born again, and with each love that ends we pick up a new wound. I'm covered in proud scars
Loving can be painful. But it makes us learn and be stronger, helping us both successes and failures to grow and work a way in life.
6. I regret the diets, the delicious dishes rejected for vanity, as much as I regret the chances of making love that I have let go by taking care of pending tasks or by puritanical virtue
Sometimes we put aside the things we would like to do for duty, for appearances or for fear. It is about lost opportunities that we can repent of, so it is best to avoid such avoidance.
7. Death does not exist, daughter. People only die when they forget it; if you can remember me, I will always be with you
Even if we die, we will remain alive in the memory of those who remember us. Whoever dies does not leave us behind: he is always with us.
8. We can all change, but nobody can force us to do it. Change often happens when we face an unquestionable truth, something that forces us to review our beliefs
Change is only possible if we want to do it, usually before something that shakes our previous beliefs.
9. Perhaps it would be convenient that you did not try to dominate your body with the mind. You must be like the tiger of the Himalayas, pure instinct and determination
This phrase pushes us to stop trying to control everything and be able to experience what our nature dictates.
10. Writing is like making love. Do not worry about the orgasm, worry about the process
Like sex, writing is an art in which who does it puts and expresses part of their being, not being the priority the final result but what happens during its course.
11. What I fear most is power with impunity. I fear the abuse of power and the power to abuse
Power must be regulated and not be allowed to abuse those it should protect. It must obey the service to the population and not the benefit based on it.
12. Just as in the moment of coming into the world, when we die we are afraid of the unknown. But fear is something inside that has nothing to do with reality. Dying is like being born: just a change
We do not know what happens to death, just as it does not before birth. These are changes that we should not fear.
13. The reality is not only how it is perceived on the surface, it also has a magical dimension and, if one craves it, it is legitimate to exaggerate it and color it so that the transit through this life is not so boring
The illusion and the ability to dream allow us to enjoy life much more.
14. I like people who have to fight to get something, those who have everything against go ahead. These are the people that fascinate me. Strong people
The dedication and ability to fight despite the circumstances is what makes us strong and worthy of admiration.
15. The longer I live, the more misinformed I feel. Only young people have an explanation for everything
With experience we understand our limitations more and more, in addition to the need to update and adapt to new times.
16. We all have an unsuspected inner strength reserve, which arises when life puts us to the test
We are stronger than we think, and we can face great adversities.
17. True friendship resists time, distance and silence
Friendship is not temporary if it is true, but implies a bond of lasting affection in time and through circumstances.
18. Silence before birth, silence after death: life is nothing more than noise between two unfathomable silences
Life is short, and we must experience it in all its intensity as long as we can. Make noise and make our step meaningful.
19. The library is inhabited by spirits that come out of the pages at night
The stories told in the books allow us to explore new worlds and travel to unknown lands.
20. I have plenty of time and for the first time in my life nobody expects anything from me. I do not have to prove anything, I'm not running everywhere; Every day is a gift that I enjoy to the fullest
Old age is a vital stage in which we can enjoy without anyone demanding anything, as long as we know how to invest this time.
21. Reading is like looking through several windows that open onto an infinite landscape. For me life without reading would be like being in prison, it would be as if my spirit were in a straitjacket. Life would be a dark and narrow place
As in the previous sentence, the author indicates the importance of reading in order to help us stimulate our imagination and ability to dream.
22. Happiness is not exuberant or boisterous, like pleasure or joy. It is silent, quiet, soft, it is an internal state of satisfaction that begins by loving oneself
Authentic happiness appears unsuspectedly, without making a sound, before what we do in our lives.
23. No one can ever belong to another ... Love is a free contract that starts in a spark and can conclude in the same way
Love supposes freedom for both parties of the relationship, wanting the other person to be who they are and can act according to their feelings, not just counting what a party considers or feels. Nobody belongs to anyone: love is not possessiveness.
24. Age, by itself, does not make anyone better or wiser, it only accentuates what each one has always been
It is often considered that older people are the wisest, and this does not have to be the case. They just had more time to have experiences.
25. Although they were stunned and hungry, many sang, because it would have been pointless to aggravate the misfortune by complaining
Crying and complaining about injustice without doing anything to change it does not have any kind of usefulness, while helping to maintain the spirit always allows us to visualize the situation with perspective.
26. The life insurance of any species is diversity ... Diversity guarantees survival
Diversity is something positive that allows us to learn and enrich ourselves.
27. My life is made of contrasts, I have learned to see the two sides of the coin. In the moments of most success I do not lose sight of the fact that others of great pain await me on the road, and when I am immersed in misfortune I wait for the sun that will come later
Nothing is eternal: we will always have to face moments of great pain, but also moments of indescribable happiness.
28. But never again is it a long time
Referring to the feeling that we will not want to fall in love again after losing someone, this phrase reflects that everything happens and that we can never say never.
29. Today's experiences are the memories of tomorrow
The memory is nothing more than the experiences we once lived. So, better live intensely to make our future memories proud.
30. Reality is a jumble, we can not measure or decipher it because everything happens at the same time
To stop trying to define what reality is is not viable: everything is happening at the same time and time does not stop.
31. You will only have the present. Do not lose energy crying for yesterday or dreaming of tomorrow
Phrase that pushes us to enjoy the present.
32. We have to fight a lot. With rabid dogs no one dares, instead the gentle ones kick them. You have to fight always
We must not let them dominate us and mistreat us, but we have to fight to live in the way that we believe is correct.
33. It is easy to judge others when you have not experienced that experience
Isabel Allende expresses that only those who experience something are capable of judging them with justice.
34. You are my angel and my condemnation. In your presence I reach the divine ecstasy and in your absence I descend to hell
Sentence that expresses the sensations that a passionate love can cause.
35. At any age, a purpose in life is necessary. It is the best cure against many evils
Having goals and motivations is fundamental always.
36. No one wants to end life with a banal past
We all want our lives to be meaningful, for what we will have to live according to our values and beliefs.
37. He who seeks the truth runs the risk of finding it
The truth can be painful, something that we must take into account when looking for it.
38The only thing that one learns is what one finds out just
Sentence that makes reference to that to learn is necessary that we are able to doubt and value for ourselves the information that reach us.
39. If nothing hurts, is that I woke up dead
Life involves facing both joys and sorrows. In life we will enjoy but also to suffer.
40. I knew that nothing in the world is permanent: everything changes, decomposes, dies and is renewed in another form; therefore clinging to the things of this world is useless and causes suffering
This phrase is linked to the idea of rebirth and the cyclical vision of life proper to Buddhist philosophy.
41. In the end, you only have what has been given
This phrase starts from the idea that the world gives back what you give.
42. Underneath the skin are hidden never-formulated desires, hidden afflictions, invisible marks ...
Life, although wonderful, is hard. Each one of us has his own wounds.
43. The storm pulls the sturdy oak from the ground, but not the reed, because it bends. Do not calculate my strength, but my weaknesses
This fragment highlights the need to be moldable and able to adapt to situations.
44. The essential is often invisible. The eye does not grasp it, only the heart
Sometimes we stay enthralled thinking about the accessory and see what really matters. But a part of our being is capable of recognizing it.
45. Life is done walking without a map and there is no way to go back
We do not know what life has in store for us, and we must risk living it even though we can make mistakes.
46. With sexuality the same thing is happening as with violence: it is increasingly exaggerated to interest an audience that is already satiated. There is nothing new to offer, but special effects can always be intensified
In the cinema, in literature, in advertising and in society in general, sex or violence is used to attract attention.
47. Ask yourself what you feel and what you refuse to feel
Sometimes it would be good to reflect on what aspects of our being we deny, and what we really feel, in order to better understand who we are.
48. It is not the exposed truth that makes us vulnerable, but the secrets
Truthfulness is a virtue that is not reprehensible but has been covered up with secrets and / or prejudices that make it shameful.
49. Despite the distances, people are similar everywhere. The similarities that unite us are much more than the differences that separate us
Beautiful phrase that states that despite all the things that can differentiate us, we are all human with a similar core.
50. They should see the enemy as a teacher that gave them the opportunity to control their passions and learn something about themselves
Those who oppose us and what we feel about them allow us to learn about ourselves and our ways of reacting and seeing the world.
51. It is impossible to change the facts, but you can change the way you judge them
Things happen independently of our will. But we can manage our perspective in order to face them in the best possible way.
52. Expressing their relationship in words meant defining it, setting limits, reducing it. If it was not mentioned, it remained free and uncontaminated
This phrase expresses that although it helps to understand and understand the world, sometimes categorizing something confuses and limits it.
53. Fear is good, it is the body's alarm system: it warns us of danger. But sometimes the danger is inevitable and then you have to master the fear
Being afraid is adaptive and allows us to survive, as long as it does not paralyze us and we can manage our reactions.
54. Life is like a journey without a goal. What counts is the way
We are all gonna die. What matters is how we do it and what we do until then.
55. Writing a novel is like embroidering a tapestry with threads of many colors: it is a craft work of care and discipline
The author makes a metaphor about the difficulty of making a novel.
56. Happy childhood is a myth
It is often said that childhood is the happiest stage of life. The truth is that it depends on the case, and also all the life stages have their joys and difficulties.
57. The bigger the wound, the more private the pain
The author expresses that the things that hurt us the most are that we usually keep them quiet and reserve, often staying without expressing.
58. We are all old enough to throw away feelings that do not help us at all, and stay with only those who help us live
Isabel Allende tells us that we should limit ourselves to living by staying with what we want and forgetting all that is unnecessary.
59. Start by forgiving yourself, if you do not forgive you, you will always live a prisoner of the past. Punished by memory, which is subjective
We all make mistakes. We must be able to forgive ourselves for them.
60. When you feel that the hand of death rests on man, life is enlightened in another way and you discover in yourself wonderful things that you hardly suspected
Knowing that we are going to die makes us value things more, since they are temporary and we will not be able to enjoy them forever.
61The years go by silently, on tiptoe, mocking in whispers, and suddenly they scare us in the mirror, hit our knees or stab us with a dagger in the back
Phrase that reminds us that time passes and that we should take advantage of it.
62. Dance, dance, Zarité, because the slave that dances is free ... while dancing - He said to me- I have always danced
Dancing, dreaming, music, art ... all this can make us float and feel free to express what we have inside
63. The calendar is a human invention; time at the spiritual level does not exist
The date, time, etc. it is still something that we have invented. Although time passes, our spirit remains the same unless we live things that generate changes in it.
64. Accept children the way you accept trees, with gratitude because they are a blessing but do not have expectations or desires. One does not expect trees to change, he loves them just as they are
Isabel Allende expresses that we should not expect to demand or criticize our children that are not as we would have liked: they are free beings to whom we must accept and love as they are.
65. The writer writes about what he has inside, what goes on cooking inside him and then vomits because he can no longer
The autura vindicates the liberation that supposes for the writer to reflect what it has inside.
66. There is no light without shadow. There is no joy without pain
Without the existence of one, the other's can not be conceived. We learn to appreciate happiness because we know that pain exists, just as it happens with concepts such as good and evil. If there were no opposite, we would not appreciate it.
67. Music is a universal language
Art and music allow us to understand each other, since they reflect sensations that we all have in common.
68. We are all drops from the same ocean
Once again, it is established that we all count and that we are all human beings equally valid and valuable.
69. Life is full of ironies. Better to enjoy what you have now, without thinking about a hypothetical morning
The author tells us in this sentence that we should take advantage of what we have instead of thinking about a possible future.
70. The happiness that is lived derives from the love that is given, and later that love will be the happiness of oneself
Love and happiness are closely linked, this being one of the most important forces for the human being.