The 75 best sentences of Joan Manuel Serrat
Joan Manuel Serrat is one of the great figures of music Spanish and Catalan best known. Born in 1943 as a Catalan father and an Aragonese mother, this musician, singer-songwriter, writer and poet (who also worked on occasion as an actor in the 60s and 70s) has been decorated on numerous occasions for his contribution to musical and literary culture .
The copla, the tango, the boleros and the homage to different great figures of poetry such as Machado, Lorca or Neruda are distinctive elements of his work, making works in both Catalan and Castilian. In fact, he would be about to represent Spain in Eurovision with the song "La, la, la", but his intention to sing it in Catalan as a protest for the marginalization of that language during the years of the dictatorship ended up giving him the put the singer Massiel.
You can find below a selection of 75 phrases by Joan Manuel Serrat that bring us a little closer to the thought and way of seeing the life of this figure of Spanish music.
- Related article: "72 phrases about music for music lovers like you"
Phrases and verses by Joan Manuel Serrat
This collection of phrases by this well-known musician, poet and singer-songwriter can serve to better understand his work and his way of seeing things.
1. There is nothing more beautiful than what I have never had, nothing more loved than what I lost. Forgive me if today I search in the sand, a full moon, that scratched the sea
What we lose or have never achieved is often what we want most and what motivates us to continue fighting. What drives us to dream
2. Wherever you are, you will like to know that I could forget you and I have not wanted to, and no matter how cold my sad night was, I did not fire one of the kisses you gave me
A break or disappointment in love it can cause a deep suffering, but that does not imply that everything beautiful and beautiful that this relationship meant is erased.
3. Love is not literature if it can not be written on the skin
It is very well to theorize about love, but the important thing about this concept is not to understand it but to live it. Only those who love can understand it and see its beauty.
- Related article: "The 4 types of love: what different kinds of love are there?"
4. I prefer to want to be able to, to touch to step, to win to lose, to kiss to fight, to dance to parade and to enjoy measuring. I prefer to fly to run, to think, to love to love, to ask. First of all I am a supporter of living
This phrase encourages us to focus on living and truly experiencing the good things in life, instead of simply observing them.
5. Without utopia life would be an essay for death
Utopias may be unattainable, but not essential because they allow us to hope and strive to achieve something as close as possible to our dreams. If we could have everything we wanted, it would be pointless to make an effort.
6. The truth is never sad. What he does not have is remedy
Reality can be hard. We can not control what happens or how things are. But that does not make her sad, but the latter depends on how we deal with it.
7. Today can be a great day, consider it like this, take advantage of it or that it passes by depends in part on you
In life good or bad things can happen, but we must act and live if we want to have a rich and happy life.
8. Every madman with his theme, against tastes there are not and can not be disputes, artifacts, beasts, men and women, each one is as it is, each one is each one and goes down the stairs as he wants
Each one must live his life with freedom and as he wants to live it, and he must be able to have the preferences and be able to do the things he wants as long as he does not threaten the freedom of others.
9. Do not choose only one part, take me as I give, whole and as I am, do not go wrong
This phrase makes us reflect on the need to accept and love others as they are, without idealizing them or focusing only on a specific part.
10. I do not know if I like more of you what sets you apart from me or what we have in common
Both the similar and the different can provoke both attraction and repulsion. In dealing with people, we are usually attracted to a strange mixture of the two opposites (although relations that have more similarities than differences seem to work better).
11. In this life the important thing is not what happens to you, but how you face it
Serrat tells us that what is really important is how we take things and how we face them, regardless of the things that we live. We choose how to act in front of them.
12. It would be great that there was nothing urgent, never go by and serve for something, go through life without compliments calling things by their name charge in kind and feel well treated, and piss of laughter
This phrase, in short, is about Encourage us to enjoy life and live it to the fullest .
13They are those little things that left us a time of roses in a corner, on paper or in a drawer. Like a robber lurking behind the door. They have you at their mercy like dead leaves
The power of small things and their importance when it comes to enjoying life even though they do not tend to be taken into account.
14. I always think that when a river passes through a place and the human being insists on diverting its course, even when developing engineering works, it generates that at a certain moment the river runs again wherever it wants
Nature follows its course regardless of what we do and how we try to manipulate it. This applies to both the natural environment and our interior.
15. The miracle of existing, the instinct to search, the fortune to find, the pleasure of knowing
This phrase summarizes some of the great little things in life that make us enjoy.
16. For you, my sun shone one day, and when I think of you it shines again, without being clouded by the melancholy of fleeting eternal loves
Thinking about the beloved makes the sensations and emotions that his simple presence provokes to resurface, something that provokes us the rebirth of the illusion and the desire for more.
17. Children often resemble us, so they give us the first satisfaction; those who wiggle with our gestures, reaching for everything around them
The children are a reflection of how we are and what we have transmitted, being tender to observe how they acquire our gestures and learn from us.
18. There are people who believe that because they laugh that the lame falls he has a sense of humor. You have to laugh when it is you who falls. You have a lot more fun
Laughing at someone does not mean having a sense of humor. This only appears when what you laugh at is the fact and not the person, and can even laugh at yourself and your own clumsiness.
19. Tell your heart that there is always a hidden reason in each gesture
Everything we do has a meaning and meaning, especially when we dedicate it to personal interaction with someone we care about.
20. Children learn little from words; only serve your acts and the coherence of these with the words
Serrat tells us in this sentence that educating is based on giving example and live coherently with what is said and intended to instill.
- Related article: "Vicariate learning: observing others to educate us"
21. Blessed are those who taste failure because they will recognize their friends
It is not in victory but in defeat, in bad times, in those who can see who is with you and truly love you.
22. That you will be whatever, scum of mortals, a perfect soulless, but with good manners
Being politically correct and acting with education does not prevent actions that harm others or act according to prosocial values.
23. Everything is important, because only through small things can a great thing be done
To reach our goals it is necessary to travel a long and winding road. There are no short cuts. Each step is important.
24. Blessed are those who love because they have at their disposal more than fifty percent of a great romance
The romance between two people requires that both love each other. Fortunately, whoever loves another person has already done half the way.
25. I believe that only respect for the idea of others gives you permission to respect yours. I am not part of the persecution committee
The author encourages us to always respect the opinion of others even if it is contrary to their own.
26. There is no manual: the world of sensations and relationships is full of unforeseen events
There is no established way of doing things right or wrong when we talk about feelings. Personal relationships are variable and dynamic , large changes can occur or different variables appear at any time.
27. Nothing and nobody can stop them from suffering, the needles advance in the clock, decide for them, make mistakes, grow and one day they say goodbye
In this sentence we can see how the author refers to the passage of time and the need to accept that those we want will make their own lives. Especially we can see reflected the progressive growth and autonomy of the children.
28. Life is given to you but not given to you. Life is paid for more than your penis. So it has been since God threw the man out of Eden, for confusing what is right with what suits him
We must live with intensity, but this does not mean that we also have duties and obligations towards the rest of the world. What we like or what suits us is not necessarily the right thing to do, and we must assume the consequences of our actions.
29. I claim the realism of dreaming in a future where life is better, and the relations that are fairer, richer and more positive, and always at peace
While it may seem somewhat utopian, fighting for a better future is something necessary to reach it and get as close as possible.
30. My impression is that in life, we write a single song. Which is the same Unless you betray your own story
This phrase tells us to be true to ourselves and live our life, our "only song".
31. When the show ends up I usually think that the beautiful thing that happens is not real.And I also think that the next day that nice thing will not happen anymore. But incredibly it happens again
Sometimes we think that when we finish something that makes us especially excited, having finished it will not happen again. But although we believe that the above is true, we can experience the same sensations again in the future.
32. Do not ask me not to think out loud for my own good, or to get on a stool, if you want to try to grow
This phrase indicates that we should not dictate what others should do or force them to adopt concrete positions or anticipate their own mental growth. We must let others mature and learn from experience.
33. Blessed are those who are at the bottom of the well because from then on it can only be improved
We can be totally destroyed, but there comes a time when it is not possible to be worse. All that remains is to work to overcome this state and progress little by little to improve the situation.
34. When I sleep I see clearly, crazy about a sweet poison
This phrase refers to dreams, be it about things that make us illusion or about love.
35. He smells his disgust with exquisite civility
The author indicates the tendency to disguise cruelty, contempt, ignorance and prejudice under the appearance of sophistication and naturalness.
36. Simply if we all understood that we all carry an old one over
If nothing unusual happens, we all grow old and grow old both body and mind.
- Related article: "The 9 stages of the life of human beings"
37. Without hurry but without pause, like the pigeons, from the earliest childhood they prepare the bait: "If you do not eat the soup the coconut will take you". "Impure touching will leave you blind." And they harass you for life, stirring up fear, fishing in the turbulent river of sin and virtue, selling hare at the expense of a creed that makes broken dishes that you end up paying for yourself.
This phrase reflects how education is often based on fear and on the search to adjust to morality, ignoring our desires and our authentic nature.
38. Cultivate good manners for your bad examples if you do not want your peers to point fingers at you. Cover your baser instincts with a lambskin. The habit does not make the monk, but gives the stick
This phrase denounces the hypocrisy of society and the search for an appearance of correctness and virtuosity even though our actions and thoughts are contrary to that appearance.
39. You have nothing to fear, bad weather, good face, the constitution protects you, justice defends you, the police guard you, the union supports you, the system backs you up
This phrase impels us to live our life as we want to do it and without fear, whether the world supports us or we are persecuted by it.
40. Blessed are the poor because they know with certainty that no one will love them for their riches
This phrase reflects that who has little will not be wanted precisely for economic interests, but if someone wants to be sincere or for other reasons.
41. Selling is always ... Like that joke: We already have the capitalist. Now it is missing who put the ass. Everything is a matter of raising the price. Sometimes, yes, it is amazing because of the little that some humans tend to sell
Serrat criticizes in this sentence how everything is commodified.
42. Blessed are those who boast of their epiphanies because they will have occasions to prove it
Those who boast of some quality or characteristic often have to prove it sooner or later, when it is required. It will be at that moment where it is proven whether they possess it or not.
43. Let's waste our little bit of agency
An incitement to be free and to commit follies. In short to live.
44. Adjust the males, take a deep breath, swallow, take a run and open the door, go out to the street, cross your fingers, touch wood
This phrase encourages us to have courage and dare to take risks.
45. And with the hangover, the poor man returns to his poverty, the rich man returns to his wealth and the lord cures his masses
Regardless of how we are, in the end most people have more in common than they think . We are all born and we die, and the different things that we live affect us all (albeit in different ways). And while we can temporarily fade away, we have to return to our lives.
46. Like a kaleidoscope of tiny crystals, it changes its pattern and color, if at dawn the sun shines or it has rained. And fill my world with flowers
Beautiful phrase that speaks of the presence of hope and hope, which allows us to change our way of seeing the world.
47. Tomorrow is just an adverb of time
This phrase impels us to enjoy the now and fight for what we want in the present, since we do not know what will happen in the future.
48. It is preferable to put on the best suit of optimism one has, at least the suit of hope, and we believe that things move as we are able to push them from honesty and from what each one knows how to do.
Serrat tells us in this sentence that we should not give up our hopes and that we should try to push ourselves to achieve them.
49Under a sky that by force of never seeing the sea forgot to cry
This phrase reflects the importance of living positive things and fighting to try to achieve our dreams, reminding us of the effect of losing our goals, hope and hope.
50. It is difficult for men to advance in any other way that is not together
The human being can only develop when he does it together with his peers.
51. It's not that I do not come back because I forgot ... it's that I lost my way back
Sometimes we do things that do not allow us to go back , or we just do not want to do it because we have overcome what we left behind.
52. The common comforts me, the different things stimulate me
This phrase, referred to the area of personal relationships but applicable to other aspects, indicates that both the different and similar are valuable elements to appreciate and that allows us to activate and feel appreciation or connection.
53. I know what I'm looking for, because I know what I feel
One of the most important things to know ourselves and set goals is to admit and accept the things we feel.
54. In many cases society is determined to confront local anxieties with the anguish of the neighbor, as if our local anxieties were solved by preventing the progress of the neighbor
Comparing ourselves with others and trying to overcome them does not bring us happiness and does not solve our own problems either.
55. The great enemy that our society has is fear, the fear of losing even what we do not have, to lose things that we do not yet have, those that are minimally intuited but that are not consolidated
We are afraid of losing both what we have already achieved and what we could achieve. We must overcome this fear or we will be facilitating its fulfillment, as well as preventing us from moving forward.
56. Blessed are those who incurred debts because some time, someone did something for them
To contract a debt means that at some point someone has done something to help us, something that it implies that we have been valuable in some way for someone said.
57. And your shadow still lies on my bed with the darkness, between my pillow and my solitude
This phrase tells us of longing, of missing people who have left our side.
58. It was unintentional, chance is capricious, I did not look for you or come to look for me
Sometimes chance, chance, destiny or whatever we want to call it puts in our way wonderful people who will be part of our life forever.
59. Memory must be kept well in the past, but we must work for the future, thinking that the future is now
We can learn from what has already happened, but what is done is done. We must focus on the present and what we are going to do.
60. Playing naked yesterday in the sand, my childhood little by little I saw it go by, it escaped without realizing me barely dreaming of flying
Serrat tells us in this sentence the importance of innocence and illusion proper to childhood, which made us and still make us dream.
61. The education of a person is a three-legged stool where on one side is the school, then there is the house and also on the other hand the street, the environment
Family, school and social environment are the main influences that will allow a person to develop, acquire values and knowledge and build their own identity.
62. Prohibition seems to me an unjust punishment for which you are never prepared
Censorship and prohibition of something we want it is a punishment that causes us suffering , especially when said punishment is unjustified.
63. One can choose in life always. Many things help in the election. It helps a lot the world that surrounds you, the intimate and emotional world, the friends ... In the end it depends on the close information that one has and the priority that it gives to things
We always have the possibility to choose, possibility that will be influenced by various factors.
64. Your laughter makes me free, it gives me wings. Solitudes take me away, jail rips me
Making those we love happy makes us feel that everything is fine, that we can achieve our dreams, and that everything is worthwhile.
65. I will not make the cold warmer or sweeter the coffee with milk but think of me, girl, think of me
We may not be fantastic and we can not change the world of the person we love, but that does not mean there is no desire to be together.
66. The problem is in this concept that in general humanity has everything that belongs to everyone, and then I can do what I want, I have no obligation to replace anything, and somehow the basic concept of where I come from disappears, Where do I go, what do I take, what do I leave and from whom do I come and who will continue
Equality of opportunity and access to resources does not imply that we have no responsibility in this regard. We must not forget that we have rights as well as obligations to ourselves as to the rest of the world.
67. I want to cry with those who are alone and without any love going through the world
Loneliness and the absence of love is cause for great frustration for many people, causing a deep feeling of abandonment and sadness .
68. That by a smile I give everything I am
Again, this phrase refers to the smile of someone we love or love, being this simple gesture in the beloved something for which the one who loves is capable of doing anything.
69. The emotion of undressing ... And discover, slowly, the game. The rite of caressing on fire
We can see in this sentence how the author makes clear reference to passion, evoking the sensuality and the caress of the lover on the skin of the beloved.
70. Everything is ready, water, sun and mud but if you miss you there will be no miracle
Serrat uses this analogy with the myth of the creation of diverse cultures to make the need of the loved one visible.
71. The power of the songs is tremendous. Surely they do not change anything, they do not change the story, but they do accompany it. They can not win any war, but they can accompany those who fight
Music and the expression of emotions , values and deeper feelings can generate great changes, as well as accompany the great moments, motivate others and even cause the birth of new sensations, thoughts and actions.
72. Give the experience the day off to begin, and receive it as if it were a feast to keep. Do not allow it to vanish, roost and consume life in bulk. Today could be a great day, hard on him
Taking advantage of the day and life without taking into account previous aversive experiences is what Serrat proposes in this sentence.
73. I still believe in commitment. I have believed in him, all my life. And he does not renounce that idea that man is the master of his future.
We are free to choose how to live our lives, and with what or with whom to commit ourselves. The idea of doing it and of committing to something implies being consistent with oneself, one's own values and with the given word.
74. I believe that in the human being the limits are not fixed, because they are constantly marked by the circumstances
For Serrat, the human being has no more limits than the circumstances that mark him, being able to go far beyond what most of us believe we can reach.
75. My heart also waits, towards the light and towards life, another miracle of spring
Hope is something fundamental for the human being, that can impel us to expect incredible things to happen, to prevent us from surrendering and to continue fighting. And, sometimes, it happens that our dreams come true.