What is love at first sight?
Have you ever had the strange feeling that your heart is racing when you see a person in a train station, for example? It is a magical moment in which a sensation that costs to describe makes us drunk. There are people who notice like butterflies in the stomach. We may be facing a fleeting love .
And that the person in front of you is a complete stranger. The love at first sight or crush It describes this moment, and the scientific community and academics do not agree to say whether this phenomenon really exists or is rather an illusion. Be that as it may, many people report having felt this, even several times a day.
But, What psychological mechanisms are behind the romantic arrows?Recommended article: "Types of love: what kinds of love are there?"
What characterizes love at first sight or crush?
Well, above all, what his own name indicates: it is a love at first sight, a crush . When a friend introduces us to a person who attracts us instantly, or we meet someone at the bus station and quickly feel that we should know it as it is. It can also happen in a fleeting exchange of looks in a musical bar ... at any moment the romantic crush can be produced.
Although many people confuse it, a love at first sight is not exactly a platonic love. They may have some small points in common, but the romantic idea of Plato makes reference to a perfect idea of love , not necessarily unrequited, that exceeds the limits of the carnal and that entails a huge difficulty.
The idea of platonic love may have a connection with that of love at first sight in the fact that it seems extremely complicated that two people who have just met will end up consummating their passion. However, the idea of Plato referred to an absolutely pure and disinterested love, in which nothing of the material world had any weight, and in which the intellectual and moral facets are the basis of common feeling.
In other words, romantic love is not based on the mere attraction of one individual for another, this love focuses on goodness and something more spiritual cut.
Physical signs of love at first sight
It is public and notorious that when we feel a love crush, our body secretes a hormone called oxytocin that makes us more sensitive, compassionate and a state of exaltation of emotions ensues.
Besides this, there are several signs and signals can throw a cable when it comes to identifying if you have fallen in love at first sight .
- Body sweat . Especially if you are near the desired person, you feel how the body temperature increases, your hands sweat, you blush and, consequently, a heat builds inside you. This can lead to you feeling a little more insecure than usual, or maybe a little overwhelmed by the situation.
- Nervousness . You may stay a little blocked when talking, that the words do not come out, and that you do not show yourself how fluid you would be in a more everyday situation. It is even possible that it is difficult for you to spin the sentences and even say something without much sense. It may be that this happens because you are trying to impress the person you like and, thinking your words too much, the result is the opposite of the desired one.
- Blood pressure rise . In relation to the other two points that we have already described, another characteristic point of crush or love at first sight, is that the blood pressure is triggered. It's like an injection of adrenaline for having coincided with someone you like so much.
- If for any reason you do not get to speak to him , when you arrive at your house you will constantly think: what will be the name of that woman and man with whom I have met? Why have not I had the courage to go talk to him or her? Will I ever cross paths with this person again?
- After several days thinking about the same, you start to feel something "silly" , because that love at first sight can be nothing more than an attraction for someone you do not know, and authentic love is born when you connect with a person not only physically, but emotionally. Maybe at that moment you realize that it was not worth obsessing about it.
More about love and falling in love
Science and psychology continue to investigate in the field of love and in the feelings that the brain causes in people, since many of the chemical and neuronal reactions that cause this behavior are unknown.
In the article "The chemistry of love, a very powerful drug", the psychologist Jonathan García-Allen It explains how our body and our mind process love.
Also, if you want to know some curiosities about love and falling in love, we invite you to read the post "Love and falling in love: 7 surprising discoveries".