Personal talents: more than 20 tips to develop them
Talent: a somewhat unknown concept . Throughout this article we will try to describe what talent is and show several strategies, techniques and habits to develop it.
Cases of talent wasted
- Juan He is young and quite intelligent, but when he pretends to be his own boss, he ends up bankrupt.
- Manuel , has two careers and multiple plans in life, however has not managed to specify any.
- Anna , a woman with an extraordinary talent for mathematics, but is not aware of it, if she successfully passes the exams she understands that they were very easy, and not obtaining the maximum qualification produces a serious frustration.
- Patricia She is a very diligent and professional woman, designing furniture and photographing, but she is the target of criticism from her relatives, this gives her the feeling that everything is in vain and that she loses time.
- Robert , he invests a lot of time in his activities, he has many recognitions, but he does not stand out because he feels afraid to leave between seeing the skills he possesses to the rest. In his inner self he does not feel he deserves any success and sabotaging himself feels that he has failed.
- Jessica When it is constantly known, it reveals its negative aspects: "the bad thing about myself is ...". He is not able to realize the good things that fill his life, and always proclaiming endlessly the negative.
They are people who possess some talent, skill or dexterity, and yet are unable to feel fully realized.
Personal talents: how to show them to the world?
Certain personalities have existed or exist who have dared to show their innate talent and who have left their mark in history: in the music Joannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart, known as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart , who in his career left us more than 600 works.
The vast majority would like to have a masterful talent . In spite of everything, very few people have had gifts like these in the course of the entire history of the human being. It is very important to keep in mind that a person who was born with such talent dies with him. The proof is that in December 1791, even the last day of his existence Mozart died, pen in hand, composing what would be his last work of music, a Requiem (for the funeral mass), which did not end.
But does everyone have talents?
Language is polysemic, which means that the same word contains multiple meanings. The term talent It is not an exception, since it is related to the intellectual capacity or intelligence of a person, the ability to do something useful or beautiful. Equally, talent is defined as innate ability or ability to excel in one or more specific thematic areas or activities . It is also described as the ability to exercise a certain occupation in an activity.
It must be stressed that we all have some capacity or ability that we can strengthen, the important thing is to discover them, be constant and work hard, to obtain profit.
Some talents are natural; others must be acquired through learning. There are things, that simply, we are unable to do. But we are all capable of improving in many capacities based on training and illusion .
However, the talent in this polysemic sense of language has meanings, such as: an intellectual capacity, something innate, an aptitude, even a strength. I will use the word in a generic way to refer to a form of behavior that makes us improve our life or situation.
There are multiple ways to take advantage of personal talent. This proposal is just one of many options to discover, enhance and maintain, it contains the following steps:
Multiple intelligences as a reference to know our talents
Link it with some of the multiple intelligences, know how to handle our emotional intelligence and guide our talents to specific goals.
The theory of multiple intelligences proposed by Howard Gardner teaches us that intelligence is not unitary, but that each person has more or less developed some types of intelligence. Thus, we are all potentially talented in some aspect of life, we all have something to contribute to the world if we manage to channel our talent through an activity in which we stand out especially.
How do we relate to our environment?
We take contact with the world through the five senses, we give "meaning" to the information and act accordingly. Then, there are clearly identified processes, one is the use of the organs responsible for the senses and another as the senses perceive and determine what the reality means.
We use the senses externally to perceive the world, internally to represent the experience ourselves .
Perception, neurons ... the talent from the magnifying glass of neuroscience
The neurons that constitute the chemical storm of the brain are interconnected and exchange information between them, the environment influences us to learn and the thought influences us in the way neurons are connected. In this amazing influence that we currently know thanks to neuroscience, we need to use our connectome to acquire new skills or to further develop those of which we already have.
It is now proven that positive or negative thoughts not only change the reality we perceive internally or externally, but also also part of the interlaced wires inside our brain . Conectoma is how the neuroscientist Sebastian Seung describes it, that is, the way in which the 100 billion neurons that make up the brain communicate and influence it, and can achieve the overwhelming amount of a billion different connections. Then our experiences can change the connectome. The countless number of connections makes us materially unique people. That's why Seung says: "you are your connectome".
If we harbor deeply rooted, even negative behaviors that we believe we can not change, it is true, because we repeat the same connectivity with our thinking, with positive positive behaviors we do the same but direct our learning to reach more options, solutions and goals.
Are we all smart?
The history of intelligence goes back to the beginning of the last century, in which as psychologists we oriented ourselves to measure all behavior. It was derived from those studies the IQ and the intelligence tests that measured it comprised different areas for Find out what our intelligence was by following a few statistical points. Divided people into intelligent average or above or below average . Often this gave rise to the chance that someone evaluated in this way acquired a label that could carry throughout his life, which is false since we can all develop skills or abilities outside the context of this evaluation.
We do not have only one computer in the head as shown by the human connectome, that is, there is not a single type of intelligence but several, some well identified in appearance and others to be developed. Howard Gardner, states that intelligence is the ability to put order in thoughts and coordinate them with actions s . There are different types of intelligences that mark the potentialities with characteristic accents of each individual, in strengths and weaknesses.
Each person has different intelligences (visual-spatial, verbal or linguistic, logical-mathematical, kinesthetic-corporal, musical, interpersonal, intrapersonal, interpersonal, naturalistic) and cognitive abilities. These intelligences work together, but as semi-autonomous entities. Each person develops some more than the others . The culture and segments of society place different emphasis on them.
Possibly we have more than one ability or capacity, the challenge is to know more, since there are people who are excellent artists however they require someone to help them sell their talents , that is, they have not developed interpersonal intelligence. What's more, when we try to take advantage of our talents, we incur contradictions so that they do not leave, it's called brain modularity.
Another part influences us is how we handle our emotions or Emotional Intelligence (EI).
Is it enough to know our hidden intelligence or do we also need emotional intelligence?
Having talents and skills is not enough to achieve success, and if we achieve it, emotionally the cost is very high . Nowadays, just as we exercise our muscles, we can do the same with emotions. Being angry and acting without thinking can lead the most prepared person or the most capable intellectual to become a beast, a dynamic called emotional kidnapping.
Negative emotions block learning and prevent you from developing talents . If you persist more than what is advisable, even your state of health diminishes, this principle is proven by the neuroendocrinoimmunology .
Intelligence may not have the slightest importance when you are dominated by emotions. We really have two minds, one that thinks and one that feels. The goal of emotional intelligence is balance, not suppression.
If the emotions are too muffled they create apathy and distance; when they are uncontrolled, they are extreme and persistent, they become pathological. The mechanisms to balance emotions; control impulsivity, enthusiasm, empathy, perseverance despite frustration, defer gratifications and the ability to self-motivation, since not always someone is behind us.
The most important thing is to become aware and practice; the daily training of our skills . It is not easy, but our connectome can be remade and that change of neural pathways once it is constituted becomes a habit of life. There are those who will not get it and will only suffer, they are stuck in the conflict (Marco de reprobación). These people could use the saying that says: "genius and figure to the grave", by way of sarcasm, it is clear.
To renounce what we are leaves us without identity, not to develop skills or talents, it leaves us without the possibility of feeling self-realized, we will not discover them if we are not audacious. Given this perspective we will not get anywhere if we do not set goals in life.
What do we need to achieve our goals?
To help you promote good habits and attitudes to develop your talents, we have created more than 30 small tips for this purpose throughout the following paragraphs. Hopefully it serves you.
- Commitment: without compromising there is no destiny or realization. Trying it does not work, it requires planning and flexibility, and giving more than what is required of you.
- Divide goals into small goals : you do not get to the top at once, you have to climb little by little.
- Make of the disadvantages, advantages : "If you are shy, look for a job where you need to talk".
- Respond to disappointment : the important thing is not what happens to you, but how you react to it.
- Get all the support you can , you do not reach only the goal.
- Surround yourself with people that have similar ideas.
- Ask yourself and imagine how you would like to see yourself when developing your talents . Projecting is starting to travel the road.
- Your thoughts are what determine your life.
- Have objectives : short, medium and long term.
- You are the architect of your future , build what you long for.
- Self-knowledge is the basis to discover and develop your talents . The proposed strategy is simple but requires effort.
- Determine your representative system: visual, auditory, sensory or sentimental olfactory . Or a combination of one and the other.
- Your profession may be related to one of the multiple intelligences (visual - spatial, verbal or linguistic, logical-mathematical, kinesthetic-bodily, musical, interpersonal, intrapersonal) It is best to take advantage of your representative system to accelerate the learning of new abilities, or take the opportunity to learn more about the topics that you are passionate about by relating them to your multiple intelligences and your representative system.
- Learn to manage your emotions , no talent will serve you if you suffer an emotional abduction, dominates apathy and laziness.
- In front of any difficulty, to develop your talents, put as goal to think less three solutions of how to reach it , put your talent to the test.
Developing your talents is not a thing of the day, you need to be consistent in order to achieve the goals you have set for yourself. If you want to get where you've only been, do what you've never done. It is very important to meet with people with whom you share interests. Socialize and gather all the support you can!
Some more tips to enhance our talents
"There is only a small part of the universe that you will know with certainty that it can be improved, and that part is you."
- We can not choose the circumstances that have touched us , but we can choose the way we react to them and adjust the emotions we feel to cushion their negative impact.
- You can not change a problem in the same environment in which it was generated . Sometimes you have to give a 180 degree change to change.
- Behaviors are not conscious, they can not be changed .
- If we are not able to face our emotions we will not be able to develop our talents
- If we control our emotions, this makes our multiple intelligences more efficient and it helps us to develop our talent to the fullest.
- Astronaut José Hernández says: "perseverance is not enough, you need to be effective" . Perseverance is effective when it is accompanied by self-knowledge, focus, and a positive attitude, "says Marianne Blancas, human resources consultant and executive coach.
- Learn to be an optimist : "The optimist sees the positive and negative side, but decides to stay with the positive".