The management of conflicts in social networks and WhatsApp
Undoubtedly, immersed in the world of information and communication technologies (ICT), social networks and different instant messaging applications - among them and predominantly, Whatsapp- They have transformed communication between people.
Currently, we observe how from any mobile device we can exchange opinions, projects and information in a comfortable, fast and instant way . However, its arrival, acceptance and integration into society has not been accompanied by an awareness, an awareness, that determines a correct, efficient and effective use in communication processes, causing conflicts in a virtual environment that requires strategies for a resolution that promotes spaces for reflection, respect and assertiveness.
The interpersonal conflicts that generate the use of social networks
We are living in a social stage of great technological advances that, in some way, have forgotten that the communication process is a transmission and reception of ideas, information and messages, in which writing is not enough, it is pertinent to consider not only the cultural aspects of the society and the characteristics of the groups that compose it, but also attending to attitudes, movements of the body, easy expression, etc. We talk about the importance of non-verbal communication.
A non-verbal communication that, according to existing studies, represents 50% of the impact and content of the message, compared to the scant 10% of the verbal content -The remaining 40% is assigned to communication to reveal the lack of body and form in these new virtual forms of communication, where the chances of "erring" in their intentionality, can lead to conflicts, modulated by emotional states , situations and intrapersonal characteristics of its receiver.
5 tips to avoid discussions and conflicts in social networks
Based on this, we ask ourselves what tools and / or keys can we use from the personnel, the own, for a suitable and optimized use that diminish the risk associated to the same .
The simple steps we propose will help you, no doubt, to the goal we pursue: effective communication in virtual environments that promote spaces for personal and group meetings.
1. Avoid arguments, interpretations and conversations of judgment
The limitations of social networks and instant messaging applications in the lack of nonverbal and paraverbal components alluded to distort the intentionality, content and purpose of the message. It is common to observe how the crossing of accusations, expletives and value judgments about the opinions expressed in this medium it involves conflicts brought to the field of the personal and defended as an "attack" on one's own self-esteem , belief and identity.
- advice : A simple rule to avoid it is to ask ourselves - if this person were present - face to face - would you say and / or express the same thing as in a virtual way? -
2. Recognition of emotions and availability
Stop a few minutes to recognize the emotions that give rise to certain content and messages poured into the network and / or mobile device, allows us to know where we start emotionally and what the outcome of the communication process may be. It is common sense to foresee that if we are upset, busy, anguished or unavailable for that "encounter", it will irremediably affect the content of the message and its resolution.
- advice : The key in this aspect, is to respect and take care of yourself, devote a few minutes to calm the emotional state, taking responsibility for it and consequently, act on the basis of a "why" in which we address our needs and opinions in an assertive way.
3. Respect times, schedules and monitor impatience
The fact that immediacy in the communication process of social networks and applications is its foundational premise does not mean that its attention-response maintains its same spirit. Reciprocity is not an obligation, it is a personal option that must be respected and attended with special care.
- advice: Like we would not make a voice call, or we would attend a work meeting at 03:00 in the morning, the sending of personal or work issues in normalized rest periods without emergency, is essential for good use of ICT.
4. Face-to-face interactions
The increase in the use of the WhatsApp application in person-to-person interactions is alarming, to the detriment of the latter . A separate issue is to address the need for longitudinal studies that show their incidence and probable prognosis of inappropriate use. However, and taking into account the article that concerns us, we must remember that the essence of the communicative process is primarily "experiential", "live", where we learn to identify emotional states and to empower psychological aspects that only in "shared" social relationships. face-to-face mode "can obtain meaningful learning.
- advice: It is highly desirable to leave the constant review of states and messaging in the interactions and / or social meetings "face to face"; to do this, we can silence the device, turn it off or communicate previously that we expect an unavoidable call to attend. In this way, we facilitate our message to our interlocutor, who is attended to, avoiding a "bad impression" or "lack of interest" that will condition future events or even an interpersonal conflict in the here and now communicative.
5. Typology of messages
Not all communicative content expressed in letters, emoticons or with limited characters, it is advisable to broadcast it to our interlocutor , through virtual channels. In this aspect, sending messaging with emotional content is an aspect that we take care of and attend with special emphasis.
- advice: If we are in the situation in which assertively, we must defend an idea, position or personal issue, personal attention is recommended - if possible in the first instance - the voice telephone connection, or in the absence of the previous ones, the issue of a text message where we express the need to "talk" about an aspect that should be addressed personally and by appropriate means. With this, we avoid interpretations prior to the resolution of a conflict, or personal-social-labor status.
A final reflection
A series of situations and tips, which can be summarized in a single key point: apply common sense .
The application of the same, taking into account the knowledge, beliefs and social behaviors of the community we inhabit, in a prudent and logical way, will guide us to be able to communicate through ICT in a reasonable way, with clear objectives, favoring spaces of growth, meeting and fun, respecting limits and promoting welfare states and group cohesion.