25 unforgettable phrases by playwright Jacinto Benavente
Jacinto Benavente (Madrid, 1866 - 1954) was one of the most outstanding Spanish filmwriters and producers of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
His immense and prolific work in the scenic area led him to be awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1922.
- Related article: "The 30 best phrases of Fernando Pessoa, the Portuguese poet"
Quotes and famous quotes by Jacinto Benavente
Jacinto Benavente wrote works of all the dramaturgical genres: dramas, comedies, sainetes, tragedies ... His expressiveness was based on the naturalness of the characters, the realism with which he worked the most complex plots. In addition, the experts agree in pointing out the exceptional quality of their works not only from the theatrical aspect, but also in the depth of the lexicon and their mastery of the Castilian language.
In today's article we have set out to compile the best quotes and phrases of Jacinto Benavente , to get closer to the life and work of this Madrid playwright.
1. There is no dangerous reading. Evil never enters through intelligence when the heart is healthy.
A deep reflection on the benefits of reading.
2. Dictators can reform laws; but not the customs.
Jacinto Benavente speaks in this sentence about the influence of culture in a society.
3. Love is like Don Quixote: when he regains his judgment, he is ready to die.
When we try to make love emerge from our rational part ... it is that everything is lost.
4. Blessed are our imitators, because they will be all our faults!
A fundamental value in the work of Benavente: originality.
5. The discipline is that an imbecile is made to obey by those who are smarter.
A famous quote by Jacinto Benavente that shows us his soul as a freethinker.
6. There is no feeling worth; Love is an occupation like any other.
A thought that can be interpreted in different ways.
7. When you do not think what is said is when you say what you think.
8. In matters of love, the insane are those who have more experience. Of love never ask the sane; the sane love sanely, which is like never having loved.
A necessary reflection on love and how it only expresses itself in unreasonable ways.
9. The enemy only starts to be frightening when he starts to be right.
If your enemy has better arguments than you ... start worrying.
10. The worst thing that bad people do is force us to doubt the good ones.
A way of expressing that sometimes the powerful try to make the citizens fight against each other.
11. If murmuring the truth can still be the justice of the weak, slander can not be anything other than the revenge of cowards.
Benavente shows us some of the keys to his ethical thinking.
12. There is nothing that despairs as much as seeing our feelings misinterpreted.
Do you know what types of feelings exist?
13. If people heard our thoughts, few would escape being locked up by madmen.
Without the filter of rationalization, we could all be considered mentally deranged.
14. The irony is a sadness that can not cry and smiles.
Knowing how to use irony and sarcasm is paramount for a good dramatist.
15. As in debts, it does not fit with guilt another honesty to pay them.
Another sentence of Jacinto Benavente in which he exposes his moral convictions.
16. Many believe that having talent is a luck; Nobody that luck can be a matter of having talent.
What are your personal talents? These are the ones that can catapult you to success.
17. More men come together to share the same hatred that same love.
Having a common enemy narrows more ties than anything else.
18. It's easier to be great than to have common sense.
A phrase that explains itself.
19. A fixed idea always seems like a great idea, not because it is big, but because it fills an entire brain.
The mind of the geniuses is open and has the ability to add more knowledge and experiences. It is not the same with dogmatic minds.
20. He who is jealous, is never jealous for what he sees; with what you imagine is enough.
There are different types of jealousy and jealous people tend to be jealous because of their propensity to imagine things that are not real.
21. True love is not known for what it demands, but for what it offers.
Benavente makes it clear that true love tends to be supportive.
22. Money can not make us happy, but it is the only thing that compensates us for not being happy.
A great reflection on the ability of money to mobilize.
23. Many good people who would be unable to steal our money, steal without scruple the time we need to earn it.
A critique of the capitalist system that could have been a famous phrase of Karl Marx himself.
24. Honor is not earned in a day so that in one day it may be lost. Who in an hour can stop being honest, is that it was never.
Honesty is a value that is distinguished by being consistent over time.
25. In the fight, the soldier is known; only in victory, the knight is known.
In different contexts we know the true character of each person.