40 phrases about life that will help you be happy
The lifetime is one of the omnipresent aspects that accompany human existence , but also, possibly, the most mysterious.
Throughout history, there have been many personalities who have wanted to limit part of the essence of life with a few sentences, but not many have succeeded in the attempt.
40 phrases from life to understand oneself and others
You can read below a selection with part of the best phrases of life . Thoughts about life that lend themselves to reflection and that can not only be used as a trigger for interesting debates, but also as a tool for personal transformation.
1. A good traveler has neither fixed plans nor the intention to arrive
Lao Tzu uses the classical metaphor in which life becomes a journey to better express the paradox of what, according to him, should be our life trajectory. The mystical background behind his philosophy and the centuries that separate us from the time associated with Lao Tzu do not prevent it from being a very applicable reflection to our days.
2. Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often the result of lack of wisdom
Terry Pratchett talks about wisdom and experience as elements that, by their presence or absence, are part of the engine of our existence . In this way, a reflection that seems to be about knowledge becomes another of those phrases of life that seem universal and applicable to any society.
3. Not being dead is not being alive
E. E. Cummings it deals with a question of terminologies that hides behind itself something more transcendent than it seems at first.
4. The point of departure towards all achievement is desire
As one of the pioneers of self-help, Napoleon Hill He formulated many reflections and phrases from life that dealt with the issue of personal development, the management of projects and the psychological aspects that lead us to achieve our goals. This phrase is an example of this.
5. Uninterrupted happiness bores; must have alternatives
Molière , about happiness and the tension that exists between it and the emotional states that, without being part of it, are desirable.
6. True happiness costs little; if it's expensive, it's not good class
Chateaubriand , like many other thinkers, believes that happiness is not an item to which we must direct all our plans and projects, but it is spontaneous and expressed in simple facts and actions .
7. Love the life you have to live the life you love
Another paradox with philosophical background, this time Hussein Nishah . Poses the dialectical and non-sequential process of loving one's life , something that does not respond to a plan of actions that we can follow step by step.
8. Life is to be enjoyed, not endured
The legacy of the religious Gordon B. Hinckley is lavish in phrases about life, and this is one of the most significant because of the simplicity with which describes the essence of hedonistic philosophy .
9. Pessimism leads to weakness. Optimism, to power
The psychologist William James about the influence of mental states on our possibilities of action. A more or less optimistic approach can expand more or less our range of options.
10. We must harden without ever losing tenderness
The Argentine revolutionary Ernesto Che Guevara it makes fit the quality of hardness, useful to face demanding projects and to claim hard-to-reach ideals, with the tenderness and humanity necessary to live day to day in community .
11. Life is not a problem to be solved, it is a reality to experience
Soren Kierkegaard Here, we glimpse part of the principles on which it would later be erected. philosophical existentialism: the value of existence over ideas and preconceived categories , and the lack of a predetermined life project.
12. You can not find peace by avoiding life
Virginia Woolf , about the need to know how to adapt to the context no longer to be more functional, but to improve our wellbeing .
13. Where there is love there is life
Mahatma Gandhi believes that love is one of the inherent qualities of human life . It makes sense, since we are predisposed to live in the company of other people.
14. Life is simple, but we insist on making it complicated
Confucius , in one of the most famous phrases of life. His conception of the vital projects that can claim the attention of the human being is rather minimalist, emphasizing the value of simplicity .
15. Unexpected intrusions of beauty. That is life
The Canadian writer Saul Bellow , in one of the most curious phrases of life and, therefore, interesting .
16. Losing confidence in one's own body is losing confidence in oneself
Simone de Beauvoir , one of the references of feminism and wife of the philosopher Jean Oaul Sartre, aboutin relation between body and mind and our selfconcept.
17. Defining something is limiting it
Phrase of the Irish writer Oscar Wilde , applicable to all aspects related to day to day and also to the most abstract concepts .
18. To grow is to lose certain illusions, to be able to embrace other
The writer and thinker Virginia Woolf , in one of his life sentences about vital projects and the subjective.
19. The action expresses priorities
Another phrase from the pacifist leader Gandhi , this time about those things to which we attach more importance and towards which we direct our actions . A phrase that can help you be happier.
20. Life is a blank canvas, and you must throw over it all the paint you can
Danny Kane , about life and the possibilities it offers us: all that can be traced with a brush on a blank surface .
21. Do not live in the past, do not dream about the future, concentrate your mind in the present moment
One of the phrases about the life of Buddha , in which he emphasizes the importance of living the present with full awareness.
22. Life is not about finding oneself, but about creating oneself
A phrase from the Irish writer George Bernard Shaw son the process of personal development.
23. We do not remember the days, we remember the moments
An inspiring reflection and phrase from the Italian writer Cesare Pavese .
24. The purpose of our lives is to be happy
One of the most direct and forceful statements about life Dalai Lama .
25. The good life is that which is inspired by love and guided by knowledge
The philosopher Bertrand Russell establishes the relationship between knowledge and love as the engine of the good life.
26. Where love reigns, there are too many laws
One of the most remembered phrases of the Greek philosopher Plato, about the goodness of making bonds and commitments based on love, an element that can replace the law when cohesive groups and societies.
27. The obstacle is the path
A Zen proverb in which those difficulties that come our way are, in themselves, the means by which we advance to progress in our personal development .
28. Great results require great ambitions
Another phrase about life born in Ancient Greece. This, in particular, is from the philosopher Heraclitus.
29. The heart has reasons that reason ignores
A phrase of the philosopher Blaise Pascal. There is an invisible logic behind the acts promoted by love .
30. We become what we think
A reflection of Earl Nightingale. Our actions are shaping our identity.
31. Look back and smile at the past dangers
A phrase by Walter Scott: one of the good things about going through difficult situations is that, seen in retrospect, they magnify us.
32. Life is like jazz ... it's much better if improvised
A phrase about life created by the musician George Gershwin.
33. Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to that
Well-known reflection about the active role that it is necessary to have to consider yourself really free . The phrase is from Charles S. Windoll.
34. If you love your life, your life will correspond with love
One of the happiest sentences about life. This is Arthur Rubinstein.
35. You can not have a positive life if you keep a negative mind
This original reflection is by Joyce Meyer, and refers to the importance of the mentality when interpreting our experiences .
36. The greatest adventure you can embark on is living the life of your dreams
This phrase of Oprah Winfrey tells us about the courage that is necessary to make our actions agree with our wishes.
37. Without music, life would be a mistake
One of the most famous sentences about life of the influential philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.
38. Choose a job that you are passionate about and you will not work for a single day of your life
Another phrase of Confucius; In this case, he talks about the good thing about turning work into a pleasure in which we can totally involve ourselves.
39. Life is either a great adventure or it's nothing
A phrase about life devised by Hellen Keller. Like other appointments, this refers to the need to make what we do have a meaningful purpose , one that is bigger than ourselves.
40. The simplicity of life consists in being oneself
A phrase by Bobby Brown. Sometimes, acting as you are makes us enter into dynamics that make us move away from our real purposes.
Do you know more phrases to reflect on life?
The selection of life phrases ends here. If you know other reflections and you think they should be included in the list, you can leave them in the comments section so that we can expand the article.
Remember also that if you want to continue seeing phrases and philosophical reflections of this type, you can follow us through our Twitter and Pinterest account.