The 78 best phrases by Salvador Dalí
Salvador Dali (Figueras, 1904 - 1989) was an unrepeatable genius. This Spanish painter developed the expression of Surrealism in his different pictorial and sculptural works like no one else.
Based on the world of dreams and the unconscious, Dalí was an eccentric who embraced all imaginable artistic facets: painting, sculpture, film, writing, photography ... His personal style is still remembered as one of the most versatile and notable artists of the world. twentieth century.
- Related article: "The 75 best philosophical phrases pronounced by great thinkers"
Quotes and famous quotations by Salvador Dalí
In today's article we wanted to delve into the figure and thoughts of this teacher, so we wanted to collect the 78 best phrases by Salvador Dalí about life, painting, art and love. A great review of the personality of this self-styled megalomaniac.
Without further ado, here are your best thoughts.
1. I am doing things that inspire me with deep emotion and I am trying to paint honestly.
Some statements about his artistic approach.
2. Happy is the one that causes a scandal.
His irreverence was reflected in each of his public appearances.
3. Eroticism, hallucinogenic drugs, nuclear science, Gaudí's gothic architecture, my love for gold ... there is a common denominator in all this: God is present in everything. The same magic is at the heart of all things, and all roads lead to the same revelation: we are the children of God, and the whole universe tends toward the perfection of humanity.
About his religious faith.
4. Do not worry about being modern. Unfortunately, it is the only thing that, whatever you do, can not be avoided.
An ironic statement about the desire of some to follow fashion.
5. Painting is an infinitely tiny part of my personality.
Megalomaniac and narcissist like few, always had a great way out for all the questions of journalists.
6. Picasso is a painter, like me; Picasso is Spanish, like me; Picasso is a communist, I am not.
Dalí was more of right and conservative.
7. The true painter must be able to have, with the most unusual things, the most unusual ideas.
Creativity to the power of art. Without limits or restrictions.
8. Everything alters me, but nothing changes me.
Unperturbed despite everything.
9. For me, love must be ugly, appearance must be divine, and death must be beautiful.
An aesthetic consideration for each of these facets of life.
10. I'll be brief, I'm finished.
11. I do not understand why when I ask for lobster on the grill in a restaurant they never serve me a cooked phone.
In reference to one of his works.
12. The secret of my influence has always been that it was kept secret.
Nobody knows him yet.
13. It is not necessary for the public to know if I am joking or if I am serious, nor is it necessary for me to know.
Creativity and verbiage as allies.
14. The only difference between a madman and me is that I'm not crazy.
He only appealed to him throughout his life.
15. Knowing how to look is a way to invent.
Another perspective can generate art.
16. At the age of six, I wanted to be a cook. At seven he wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been constantly growing since then.
He managed to be better known, almost, than the French emperor.
17. The thermometer of success is simply the envy of the discontented.
The higher you are, the more they will criticize you.
18. A true artist is not the one who is inspired, but the one who inspires others.
Marking trend is always an achievement.
19. I do not take drugs. I am a drug.
His pictures, certainly, caused a lysergic state.
20. Freedom of any kind is the worst for creativity.
Disconcerting phrase of the Catalan genius.
21. What matters is to sow confusion, not eliminate it.
The more abstract, the more reason for confusion.
22. Geniuses must never die, the progress of humanity depends on us.
One of those phrases by Salvador Dalí in which he places artists in a central role.
23. I am capable of projecting myself in my little internal cinema. I release myself through a secret outlet from attempts to besiege my own soul.
Creative phrase of the great Dalí.
24. Surrealism served as a demonstration that total sterility and attempts at automation have gone too far and have led to a totalitarian system.
Few artists can give such a meaning to his work.
25. Every time I lose a little sperm I am totally convinced that I have wasted it. I always feel guilty afterwards ... Since, to begin with, I am not so helpless.
Hilarious and mysterious statement.
26The murder is closer to heaven, because after becoming "memories of our conscience", it is prayed, the sky opens, and the angels say: "Good morning!"
Famous quote poetic cut.
27. To be interesting, one has to provoke.
If you do not provoke anything, do not try.
28. Those who do not want to imitate anything, do not produce anything.
Look at others is the key to start rolling.
29. There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I'm crazy.
On his deteriorated sanity.
30. I will live forever. The geniuses do not die.
The impact on the history of art was, finally, greater than predicted by himself.
31. In the same way that I am surprised that a bank employee never eats a check, I am also surprised that no painter before me ever thought of painting a soft watch.
32. People love mystery, and that's why they love my paintings.
Simply plagued with a great intellectual interest.
33. When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is no doubt that he is in error.
34. We will always be you and me.
To his muse, Gala.
35. Drawing is the honesty of art.
A beautiful conception about painting.
36. And now Watson and Crick's announcement about DNA. This is for me the real proof of the existence of God.
For Dalí, the biological perfection of DNA could not suppose anything other than the existence of a supreme being.
37. The genius has to pass over madness and madness over genius.
A necessary ambivalence to create.
38. I believe that life should be a continuous party.
It is only life if it is worth living.
39. I'm not strange. I'm just not normal.
An eccentric like few.
40. There are some days when I think I'm going to die from an overdose of satisfaction.
Intoxicated with happiness, Dalí enjoyed his bizarre life.
41. One day it will have to be officially admitted that what we have baptized as 'reality' is an illusion even greater than the world of dreams.
A philosophical sketch of the great Dalí.
42. Do not fear to perfection, you will never reach it.
It is an ideal that can not be sustained.
43. I believe that the moment is near when by a method of active and paranoid thinking, it is possible to systematize the confusion and contribute to the total discredit of the world of reality.
Great artistic phrase to reflect.
44. You have to create confusion in a systematic way, that's how creativity is released. Everything that is contradictory creates life.
Incoherence is magic, desire.
45. Surrealism is destructive, but it only destroys what it considers to be chains that limit our vision.
Opinion of what is probably the main representative of this artistic movement.
46. Give me two hours a day of activity, and I will follow the other twenty-two in dreams.
His maximum inspiration, the world of dreams.
47. Every morning when I wake up, I experience again a supreme pleasure: that of being Salvador Dalí.
A sample of his egocentrism.
48. Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings.
If you do not have goals that you aspire to, your intelligence does not have much use.
49. The pleasure of the flesh can only be satisfied if a particular dimension is created, a kind of stereoscopic phenomenon, an imaginary hologram as real as reality is.
An artistic way of referring to sex.
50. A great wine requires a madman to grow the vine, a wise man to watch over it, a lucid poet to do it, and a lover to drink it.
A whole loa to the world of wine.
51. Without me there is no art.
One of his most narcissistic statements.
52. I need all these sudden images that are presented to me from my past and that form the factory of what is my whole life.
Based on flashes he built his reality.
53. Today, the taste for the defect is such that only imperfections and especially ugliness seem great. When a Venus resembles a toad, contemporary pseudo-aesthetes exclaim: It is strong, it is human!
On the rare fashions of the moment.
54. Where is the real? Every appearance is fallacious, the visible surface is deceptive. I look at my hand. They are nerves, muscles, bones. Let's dig deeper: they are molecules and acids.
A detailed view on the planes of reality.
55. I am surrealism.
At least, he was one of his greatest representatives.
56. It is obvious when my enemies, my friends and the general public pretend not to understand the meaning of the images that appear to me and that I transcribe in my paintings.
Almost all of Dalí's symbols were inspired by the dream world.
57. I think I'm a better writer than a painter, and in this I agreed with my father. The important thing of my writing is not the style, nor the syntax, nor the discursive resources. The important thing of my writing is simply what I say, and the day will come when that will be accepted.
His literary content was never as recognized as his paintings, anyway.
58Since the French Revolution has developed a vicious and cretinous tendency to consider a genius as a human being equal in all respects to others.
What do geniuses have in common?
59. I categorically refuse to consider that Surrealism is another literary artistic group. I think they were able to free man from the tyranny of the world "practical and rational.
On the relevance of this artistic movement.
60. The difference between false and true memories is the same as for jewels: the one that seems most real, the brightest, is always false.
Paradox that could explain Elizabeth Loftus.
61. The true painter is one who is capable of painting extraordinary scenes in the middle of an empty desert. The true painter is one who is able to patiently paint a pear surrounded by the tumults of history.
On the capacity of abstraction.
62. One might think that through ecstasy we enter a world far from reality and dreams. The repugnant becomes desirable, the affection in cruelty, the ugly in beautiful, etc.
On the curious effects of this drug called ecstasy.
63. The difference between false and true memories is the same as for jewels: it is always false that seems the most real, the brightest.
64. Take me, I am the drug; Take me, I'm the hallucinogen.
In reference to itself.
65. The knower does not drink wine, but knows its secrets.
One of Salvador Dalí's most celebrated and remembered phrases.
66. Life is too short to go unnoticed.
If you do not leave a mark, you may not be giving life the importance it deserves.
67. Without madness there is no art.
Without more: a genius must have a unique look.
68. I want to perceive and understand the occult powers and the laws of things, in order to have them in my power.
Know to understand, understand to control.
69. The desire to survive and the fear of death are artistic feelings.
This was defined by the great Dalí.
70. It is good taste and only good taste, which has the power to sterilize and is always the first obstacle to any creative operation.
The elegance and its benefits.
71. Wars have never hurt anyone, except people who die.
Paradox to reflect.
72. Democratic societies are not suitable for the publication of thunderous revelations like the ones I have the habit of doing.
Puritanism extends when people only want to hear the obvious.
73. The drug consumes but life too.
A way to minimize the effects of drugs.
74. The knower does not drink wine, but knows its secrets.
Know to observe. The philosophy of Dalí's life.
75. Life is short, but not short.
Paradox to think.
76. Very little of what could happen happens.
In fact, what happens is only one option among infinities.
77. I believe that the sweetest liberty for a man on earth consists in being able to live, if he likes, without having the need to work.
Leisure as the supreme good to which we should aspire.
78. There comes a moment in the life of every person in which he realizes that he adores me.
Another phrase of narcissism with a great dose of humor.