Laughter therapy: the psychological benefits of laughter
Humor films, jokes of a friend or the jokes of a humorist They are natural remedies to combat stress and emotional problems .
The laugh therapy It is an alternative therapy that consists of creating situations that encourage laughter and humor, in this way, alleviate physical and emotional tensions. In this article we review everything you need to know about laughter therapy
Benefits of Risoterapia
There have been many studies that support the multiple benefits of this form of therapy. Lee Berk and Stanley Tan from Loma Linda University in California (United States) have published several studies in this line of research.
These are some of the conclusions:
- Laughter activates the immune system : Therapy of humor or laughter therapy has a positive effect on the immune system making us more healthy and resistant.
- Reduces stress hormones : Your research results also indicate a general decrease in related hormones such as stress like cortisol.
- Fosters the secretion of the so-called hormones of happiness : serotonin, dopamine, adrenaline and endorphins.
- Oxygenation : Increases the body's ability to use oxygen.
- Mobilize the spine , which helps relieve back pain. In addition, it helps the person to forget the pain.
- Laughter can provide good conditioning cardiac , especially for those who are unable to perform physical exercise.
- Blood pressure : Laughter therapy helps prevent hypertension.
- When we laugh, we get twice as much oxygen , a natural hyperventilation that favors all the processes of the organism.
The laugh is the best medicine
So, laughter therapy works well for certain emotional problems and to combat stress and pain . A study carried out by the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) found that laughing shows improve children's pain tolerance, which could be used in hospitals when children have to undergo surgery.
At the University of Maryland, the researchers found that an experimental group that visualized humorous films experienced a greater blood supply compared to the group that did not visualize this type of films. This could be related to the psychological benefits of laughter.
As already mentioned, laughter stimulates different catecholamines, which are associated with happiness, relaxation and well-being , like endorphins. In addition, laughter de-stresses, reduces anxiety and increases energy. All these psychological and physiological benefits that are important to face the different negative situations or the bad moments.
The relationship between laughter and mental health
The link between laughter and mental health is evident as it helps to cope with disturbing emotions. It is not possible to feel anxiety, anger or sadness when you are laughing. But l Laughter not only relaxes, but helps recharge the batteries . At the same time, it reduces stress and increases energy, which is positive in order to stay better emotionally.
Humor helps to see things differently, that is, helps to see situations in a less threatening way. A humorous vision of life creates distance with psychopathology, which can help you feel better and more prepared for the challenges of the day to day.
The social benefits of laugh therapy
Humor and playful communication strengthen our relationships by activating positive feelings and creating an emotional connection with others. When we have fun, we laugh, and have good times with others, a positive bond is created with other people. This union acts as a buffer against stress or burnout, conflicts with others, and threatening situations.
Laughing with others is more powerful than laughing alone . But how can we generate those situations of humor with other people? For this you can follow these tips:
- Watch movies, series or funny programs with humorous content.
- Go to places where there are comedians acting.
- Look for pages on the web that are humorous.
- Surround yourself with fun people.
- Share jokes, jokes or funny stories with others.
- Find humor books in bookstores or in the library of your town.
- Attend "laughter yoga" classes.
- Take time to do fun activities (for example, bowling, minigolf, karaoke).
Laughter joins people in difficult times
Fun situations with others are one of the best strategies for maintaining fresh and exciting relationships. These situations s emotionally shocking and build bonds for strong and lasting relationships . Sharing these fun moments, laughter and play also add joy, vitality and ability to recover before the difficult moments of life. In addition, humor is a powerful and effective way to heal resentments and disagreements. Laughter joins people in difficult times. In the couple, the incorporation of humor and fun moments improve the quality of relationships. But this also applies to co-workers, family and friends.
Using humor and laughter in relationships is good because:
- It allows to be more spontaneous and uninhibited.
- Humor moves you away from problems.
- Laughter helps forget judgments, criticisms, and doubts.
- It helps express the true feelings and deep emotions to reach the hearts of others.