The 56 Most Famous Mark Twain Phrases
Among the phrases of Mark Twain that this prolific writer left us after his passage through life We find authentic gems of biting criticism to an unequal society, full of inequalities. However, there is also in them a sense of transcendence that goes far beyond cynicism or mockery. That is why you can learn so much from him.
- Maybe you're interested: "123 wise phrases to reflect on life"
The most outstanding Mark Twain phrases
Mark Twain is the pseudonym that he started using in his articles Samuel Langhorne Clemens (1835 - 1910), author, writer and American adventurer who never tired of looking for his own way and experiences in his trips without final destination. His father died when he was only twelve years old, which meant his school leaving, but this did not deprive him of following a correct formation that allowed him later to be one of the best writers of all time.
This famous author tried to enjoy his career to the fullest through experiences throughout the United States, working on things he would never have imagined (mining, carpentry), visited spectacular villages and met all kinds of people, a fact that allowed him to translate it into his own works. In addition to novelist and essayist, Twain was a true adventurer.
In this article we will see the most relevant phrases of the American author and adventurer.
1. The man was made at the end of the week when God was tired
A very peculiar way of talking about the imperfection of man.
- Related article: "Types of religion (and their differences of beliefs and ideas)"
2. There are people who can do everything well except one; stop telling your happiness to the unhappy
We must encourage people with difficulties, not sink them further.
3. The action speaks more than 1000 words but not so often
We are what we do, not what we say. One of Mark Twain's phrases in which his practical approach to morality is reflected .
4. There is a charm about forgetting that makes it inexplicably desirable
Often, Mark Twain referred to forgetting as a remedy to reach happiness.
5. When your friends begin to flatter how young you look, it's sure a sign that you're getting old
Sometimes human beings lie to make others feel better.
6. The facts are stubborn, but the statistics are more flexible
Great phrase to explain the difference between reality and trends .
7. What is the difference between a taxidermist and a tax collector? That the taxidermist only takes your skin
Mark Twain was always very critical of the state tax system.
8. Always loyalty to the country. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it
Curious reflection of Twain with regard to politics.
9. Age would be infinitely happier if we could be born at the age of 80 and gradually reach 18
Getting older is never nice. Rejuvenate is what we always look for throughout life.
10. The secret source of humor is not joy but sadness
According to Twain, sadness is a dependent variable of happiness . They are indivisible.
- Maybe you're interested: "The 6 differences between sadness and depression"
11. When I fish for love, I use bait the heart, not the brain
This phrase describes how Mark Twain saw love.
12. A man is never more truthful than when he recognizes himself a liar
The first thing is to recognize our shortcomings. Only then can we change them.
13. Let's live so that when we die, even the gravedigger repents
It seems that Twain saw little enthusiasm to enjoy life on the part of the people.
14. The world does not owe you anything. I was here first
We often pronounce the phrase "the world owes me one". Each one owns his destiny and decisions.
- Maybe you're interested: "The best 91 phrases about destiny"
15. To succeed in life you need two things: ignorance and trust
Mark Twain saw in self-confidence a way to succeed.
16. The secret of moving forward is to start
Do not fall into immobility and wait for things to come.
17. Age is a matter of the mind over matter. If you do not care, it does not matter
It's already said a lot: age is just a number.
18. My mother had a lot of problems with me, but I think she enjoyed it
A good way to explain the relationship that unites a mother and a child .
19. Kindness is the language that the deaf can hear and the blind see
In life you have to be polite and pleasant, in all circumstances.
20. Get your acts first, then you can distort them as you wish
First you have to do, then describe.
21. It is better to keep your mouth shut and to make people think if you are stupid than to open it and solve all doubt
If we can not say anything better than when we are silent, it is advisable to keep silence .
22. When you are on the side of the majority, it is time to stop and reflect
It is very tempting to fall into the general trend and not think for ourselves, Twain thought.
23. Never leave for tomorrow what you can leave for the day after tomorrow
Procrastination is always a negative element.
24. Against the assault of laughter nothing can be sustained
For Mark Twain, humor was essential for a full life.
25. Truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize
The truth is a treasure that is little appreciated in society.
26. Truth is rarer than fiction
Going back to this concept, it is very difficult to manage it. It is easier to lie.
27. You can not depend on your eyes when your imagination is not focused
First we must imagine what we want to achieve or achieve .
28. Apparently there is nothing that can not happen today
NUnca underestimate the day to day.
29. Courage is resistance to fear; the domain of fear
Twain was a born adventurer, and saw in courage the overcoming of fear.
30. Good friends, good books and a numb consciousness: that's real life
A very concise and forceful way to describe life.
31. All generalizations are false, including this
For Twain, it was very hateful to make these kinds of statements.
32. Lack of money is the root of all evil
As it happens today, Money conditions our societies .
33. Name the greatest inventor. Accident
Many of the great progresses of humanity have arisen from chance. The Champagne, for example.
34. Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated
Mark Twain was presumed dead several times.
35. Do not let the school interfere with your education
For many thinkers and intellectuals, the school is a form of indoctrination .
- Maybe you're interested: "Education in values: what is it?"
36. Anger is an acid that does more damage to the stored container than to anything else in which it is poured
This phrase explains very well what anger supposes for people.
37. Fear of death comes from fear of life
If we do not fear life, we do not fear death.
38. If you tell the truth you do not have to remember anything
The truth, always so important, although sometimes we prefer not to try to get close to it.
39. A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can not learn otherwise
One of Mark Twain's phrases based on humor.
40. Quitting smoking is the simplest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times
A very fun way to describe how difficult it is to quit smoking.
41. The best way to encourage yourself is to try to encourage someone else
We always have to take into account the happiness of others . It is synonymous with happiness itself.
42. It is not the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog
Curious way to paraphrase Twain when dealing with a conflict.
43. There are people who get things and people who say they have achieved things. The first group is less frequent
We often settle into the comfort zone and renounce our dreams.
44. Humor is the greatest blessing of mankind
Humor was always an exponent in the life of Mark Twain.
45. The human race has a really effective weapon and it is laughter
We return to reference humor as a way to achieve happiness.
46. If your job is to eat two frogs, it is better to eat the biggest one first
Frogs represent something bad in life. So we must overcome the most difficult first.
47. I do not want to commit to heaven and hell, I have friends in both places
Excellent way for the author to avoid judging people .
- Maybe you're interested: "Why do people who judge constantly speak from rancor?"
48. For God, it is only possible: to find meaning in any copyright on the planet
People turn to theology when they do not know how to explain any situation in life.
49. When people do not respect us we feel offended
Respect always has to be a sine quano condition to relate to others.
50. A person who does not read has no advantage over one who can not read
Reading is an indispensable tool for culture and knowledge.
- Maybe you're interested: "The 12 best books about happiness"
51. Honesty is the best policy when there is money in between
It is very difficult not to fall into greed, according to Mark Twain.
52. Weather is what we expect, time is what we have
We have to be realistic to avoid frustration.
53. I never let my school interfere with my education
One should learn to be free thinker. Twain was very clear about that.
54. A man who lives fully is ready to die at any moment
Whoever enjoys life will not fear death.
55. Necessity is the alma mater of all risks
The human being is capable of anything in the face of urgency or lack .
56. It is better to deserve honors and not have them, than to have them and not deserve them
The trophies, medals and other public recognitions had little value for the author.