27 phrases and reflections of Hermann Hesse
Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962) was one of the most outstanding thinkers of the 20th century.
Novelist, painter and philosopher, the German Hermann Hesse won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1946 after a lifetime dedicated to letters.
Who was Hermann Hesse?
Already as a child, Hesse showed a predilection for poetry. He escaped from an evangelical seminary where he was studying since he was not allowed to have access to literary works and poetry.
Some time later he developed as a bookseller. At the end of the year 1898 he published his first collection of poems, "Canciones románticas", but he hardly sold a few copies. However, his luck changed following the publication of "Peter Camenzind", in the year 1904, and from that moment he was able to devote himself body and soul to writing.
Famous quotes and thoughts of Hermann Hesse
A figure frequently labeled as elusive and sullen, Hesse was reputed to have a complicated character. Several of his masterpieces came in his maturity: "Demian" (1919), "Siddhartha" (1922), "The Steppenwolf" (1927) or "The Beadwork Game" (1943) make up what they are, perhaps , his most acclaimed books.
His work has been translated into more than 50 languages and has been the object of study by philosophers and psychologists . His interest in the spiritual world led him to write about the values of Western society. A fluid and brilliant thought, with enviable prose, made him one of the most read writers of modern history.
In this article we are going to reproduce some of your famous quotes and quotes.
1. What can I tell you that may be useful to you, except that maybe you are looking for something so insistently that you can not find anything?
A phrase of Hermann Hesse that reminds us that we should let things flow.
2. There are millions of facets of truth, but only one truth.
Do not confuse opinions about reality with reality itself.
3. As bodies, we are all single, as souls, nobody is.
We all have links with other souls.
4. It should not be our goal to become another person, but to recognize others, to honor others for the simple fact of being as they are.
Human relations and their tensions and conflicts could be resolved by applying this Hessian maxim.
5. The bird fights until it gets out of the egg. The egg is your world. Every living being should try to destroy the world.
The human being and his need to go beyond the established limits.
6. People with character and courage always seem sinister in the eyes of others.
If you have very clear goals in life it is likely that in your environment certain resistances and misgivings will be generated.
7. When someone who really needs something finds it, it is not chance that procures it, but himself. Your own desire and your own need lead you to it.
A famous phrase by Hermann Hesse that tell us about the positive mentality and the locus of internal control.
8. When someone is feared, it is because we have been given power over him.
Power and authority figures do not cease to be a social construct.
9. Eternity is a mere instant, long enough to joke about it.
A reflection on the time that reveals his philosophy of life.
10. Happiness is a 'how', not a 'what'. It is a talent, not an object.
This thought of Hermann Hesse could well appear in our collection of sentences about happiness.
11. Anything seems a little smaller when it has been said out loud.
When we share a doubt or a problem, it is likely that, just for the sake of expressing it, its size will decrease.
12. Maybe people like us are not able to love. Ordinary people are capable ... that is their secret.
A disturbing phrase about the ability to express love.
13. The life of each man is a path to himself, the attempt of a path, the outline of a path.
A poetic reflection on the destiny of each human being.
14. We are only scared when we do not feel in harmony with ourselves.
Self-esteem problems can anchor us in the comfort zone.
15. When we hate someone, we hate in their image something that is inside us.
In this reflection, Hesse talks about the psychological projection.
16. Those who do not know how to govern themselves are constantly looking for a leader to worship.
Gregariousness, one of the great problems that arise when there is no critical thinking.
17. Knowledge can be transmitted, but not wisdom.
Wisdom can be experienced and enjoyed, but there is no way to teach it to others.
18I make my way tired and dusty, and stopped and doubtful remains behind me the youth, who lowers his beautiful head and refuses to accompany me.
Excerpt from one of his most famous poems.
19. Any human being is capable of achieving impossible things if one of his ideals is threatened.
A phrase that shows us the dreamy and idealistic character of Hesse.
20. Some people consider themselves perfect, but it is only because they demand less of themselves.
Narcissism may have a connection to the lack of goals, according to Hermann Hesse.
21. Divinity is in you, not in concepts or in books.
With this sentence, the German author invites us to reflect.
22. Beauty does not make the one who owns it happy, but the one who can love and adore it.
Among his works, reflections on beauty are a constant.
23. Happiness is love, nothing else. He who knows how to love is happy.
Little more to add to this beautiful reflection.
24. Water is stronger than rock, love is stronger than violence.
In spite of its liquid aspect, the water, with time, is able to polish the hard rock.
25. If to have fun you need the permission of others, then you are truly a poor devil.
Everyone has to be able to find their own leisure space.
26. Without words, without writing and without books, History would not exist, and there could not be a concept of humanity.
The importance of the transmission of knowledge is captured in this sentence.
27. Words do not express our thoughts well at all. They always mutate a bit after being expressed, and they are a bit distorted, a little silly.
With this famous quote by Hermann Hesse we finished the compilation for today.
We hope you found the thought of this German writer interesting.